Great way to mislead the public about global warming..

59 replies to this topic

GameOfLove

• Members
  • 3,625 posts
  • Newburgh
  • NY
http://mediamatters....perature/193247
Hudson Valley Region
Elevation: 285 ft

Flickr Account:
http://www.flickr.co...os/springhudson

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
How come there is never any discussion or analysis on the positives of global warming. I'm sure there must be plenty. We seem to think of global warming as a terrible thing that should put fear in all our lives. Maybe it's not so bad. I know one thing, it's better than global cooling.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,727 posts
Fox news at it's finest. WB -- I'm not sure how many positives can come of this (maybe longer growing seasons in some regions). But that is far outweighed by increased droughts, floods, loss of coastal land, not to mention disruption of entire habitats and ecosystems. Some insurance companies are already trying to figure out how they will deal with increased claims due to climate change related disasters in the coming decades.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostGameOfLove, on 26 March 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Fox News and JB love to do this all the time. Just to think that the main person JB tries to pick on in terms of the climate change debate, Bill McKibben (if you've heard of him), is speaking at my college in a few weeks and will give a guest lecture in my Environmental Science class. Part of me will feel sorely tempted to ask this environmental scientist how he feels about Joe Bastardi lol. :biggrin:
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postgpsnavigator, on 26 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Fox news at it's finest. WB -- I'm not sure how many positives can come of this (maybe longer growing seasons in some regions). But that is far outweighed by increased droughts, floods, loss of coastal land, not to mention disruption of entire habitats and ecosystems. Some insurance companies are already trying to figure out how they will deal with increased claims due to climate change related disasters in the coming decades.

I can't say all the doom and gloom predictions are false because I simply don't know. I know their have always been floods, droughts and storms, are they increasing, maybe. We all know the earth has cooled and warmed throughout its history so we better be prepared for that. As for the insurance companies, they may have more to worry about with an increased population living in areas that were previously uninhabited. These same areas in the past had no damage because of no people, now we have people and therefore insurance claims. Last, it would not surprise me one bit if in 30 years we are worried about global cooling and listening to all the gloom and doom predictions. Having said all that, it certainly seems to me we are in a global warming phase, I'm just not so sure it is as horrible as some would have us believe.

NittanyLion

Mike- NWS BTV

• Meteorologists
  • 8,930 posts

View Postweatherbowl, on 27 March 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

I can't say all the doom and gloom predictions are false because I simply don't know. I know their have always been floods, droughts and storms, are they increasing, maybe. We all know the earth has cooled and warmed throughout its history so we better be prepared for that. As for the insurance companies, they may have more to worry about with an increased population living in areas that were previously uninhabited. These same areas in the past had no damage because of no people, now we have people and therefore insurance claims. Last, it would not surprise me one bit if in 30 years we are worried about global cooling and listening to all the gloom and doom predictions. Having said all that, it certainly seems to me we are in a global warming phase, I'm just not so sure it is as horrible as some would have us believe.

If you lived on an island country like the Maldives (3 ft ASL), you'd have a slightly different viewpoint.

But I've already discussed my views on this many times before, so I won't go there again.
Mike
NWS Meteorologist
South Burlington, VT
Elevation: 332 ft
Snowfall 2014-2015: 83.4"

Colchester, VT
Elevation: 311 ft

The views expressed in this post are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Weather Service.

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View PostNittanyLion, on 27 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

If you lived on an island country like the Maldives (3 ft ASL), you'd have a slightly different viewpoint.

But I've already discussed my views on this many times before, so I won't go there again.

You may be right, Nittany. I see their highest point is only some 7 feet above sea level. I hope the predictions about the oceans rising does not come to pass, for their sakes. I don't mean to imply that the dire forecasts won't happen, all I am saying is I am not so sure. The earth is going to do what it will do, whether we like it or not. Of course there is always the question of whether we are enhancing global warming, and that discussion has been beaten to death.

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

View Postweatherbowl, on 27 March 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

You may be right, Nittany. I see their highest point is only some 7 feet above sea level. I hope the predictions about the oceans rising does not come to pass, for their sakes. I don't mean to imply that the dire forecasts won't happen, all I am saying is I am not so sure. The earth is going to do what it will do, whether we like it or not. Of course there is always the question of whether we are enhancing global warming, and that discussion has been beaten to death.
True it has. The issue is that the proper type of discussion rarely happens, that being a discussion rooted in reality and scientific fact, rather than being filtered through cable news outlets and turned it into a partisan issue, with the left and center generally accepting the science, and the right and far right almost universally rejecting any science, even resorting to blatent lies in attempt to distort the findings.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postgpsnavigator, on 27 March 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

True it has. The issue is that the proper type of discussion rarely happens, that being a discussion rooted in reality and scientific fact, rather than being filtered through cable news outlets and turned it into a partisan issue, with the left and center generally accepting the science, and the right and far right almost universally rejecting any science, even resorting to blatent lies in attempt to distort the findings.

I agree it becomes too partisan and that's when the exaggeration factor comes into play, not only on the right but on the left also. To me the earth is in a warming cycle, I don't know if it will continue or for how long.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostNittanyLion, on 27 March 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

If I lived in the Maldives, I'd be looking for a new place to live. Their island may be a goner in the next 10 years, due to rising sea levels. Watch the story get drowned out by Kardashians or the newest teenage sensation when the Maldives go completely below water.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

NittanyLion

Mike- NWS BTV

• Meteorologists
  • 8,930 posts

View Postweatherbowl, on 27 March 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

I agree it becomes too partisan and that's when the exaggeration factor comes into play, not only on the right but on the left also. To me the earth is in a warming cycle, I don't know if it will continue or for how long.

If it is a completely natural cycle, we should now be cooling, as the last natural warming cycle ended in the 1990's. The natural cooling cycle should have begun around 2000 (per solar cycles, Milankovitch cycles, sunspots, etc...), and we should slowly be headed for a "Little Ice Age". Thus, if we don't see any cooling in the next decade or so, I would strongly argue against it being completely natural.
Mike
NWS Meteorologist
South Burlington, VT

Colchester, VT

The views expressed in this post are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Weather Service.

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postthundersleet, on 27 March 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

If I lived in the Maldives, I'd be looking for a new place to live. Their island may be a goner in the next 10 years, due to rising sea levels. Watch the story get drowned out by Kardashians or the newest teenage sensation when the Maldives go completely below water.

From what I understand the ocean is rising at the rate of .14 of an inch per year. So I don't think even the Maldives have to worry until long past 10 years. At least I hope so.

FreezingDrizzle

• Members
  • 8,931 posts
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
Global warming would surely create many problems.

However, the left will rarely tell you of positives that would come with global warming that would, at least, partly mitigate the problems.

Perhaps, they feel it would dilute or deflect from their warnings of disaster. A huge positive is the enormous increase in arable and hospitable land in Canada and Siberia. As well, less heating would be required in colder areas of the earth. (I always wonder if future projection calculations take into account that less fuel for heating would be needed as the earth got warmer.)

The other point that troubles me is whether expensive steps taken by the US and Europe to reduce carbon emissions would really have any meaningful effect; while India and China continue to increase their emissions.
2018-2019 Frozen Precipitation Record

November 15, 2018 - 4.1 inches (Miller A "over-performing" - to sleet, freezing rain, rain, back to sleet on 11/16 7 am)
January 13, 2019 - 0.2 inches (northern edge of "southern slider")
January 18, 2019 - 0.6 inches (weak mid-western storm)
January 30, 2019 - 0.5 inches (intense 20 minute squall on arctic front)
February 11, 2019 - 0.3 inches (northern edge of weak wave from the west)
February 12, 2019 - 1.1 inches snow-sleet-snow-rain (front-end of wave from the west)
February 20, 2019 - 2.3 inches (front-end of wave from the west)
February 28, 2019 - 0.2 inches (southern edge of a clipper)
March 1, 2019 - 0.3 inches (weak clipper)
March 2, 2019 - 3.3 inches
March 4, 2019 - 4.6 inches (SW storm)

Seasonal Total - 17.5 inches

Notable temperatures: 11/22/2018: 18 F (low), 11/23/2018: 12 F (low), 1/21/2019: 5 F (low), 1/22/2019: 11 F (low), 1/24/2019 60 F (high),

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts

View Postweatherbowl, on 27 March 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

I always argue that mankind and his inventions are a part of nature just like the evolution of plants, animals, insects and everything else is. Nature has given birth to and then took away dinosaurs and many other creatures, insects and plants. It has given us the most dangerous predators we've ever seen in the T-Rex, the great white shark and perhaps before that the 100 foot version of a great white that is theorized. Now it has man evolve to the point of harnessing the earth's energy and starting to harness the suns energy. Folks seem to forget that mankind is part of nature. The issue for me remains how much of global warming is caused by the earth itself going through cycles vs environmental changes brought about by a creature that nature has produced. We act as if we had records for a long time. We've got a few hundred years of records for a planet that has supported life for billions of years. I read that no one has ever seen a spike in global temps like this in history. What they should have said is in a short period of recorded history. I am sure there have been spikes in temps up and down that are a lot greater than what we see today.Has mankind added to global warming. I'm sure it has. But is that add in a teeny tiny fraction of 1% or is nearly 100% of the enchilada. Global warming thorists would have you believe it's the latter without a doubt the way they speak when in fact they are IMO clueless about it.
Monmouth county NJ

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts

View PostNittanyLion, on 28 March 2013 - 12:08 AM, said:

If it is a completely natural cycle, we should now be cooling, as the last natural warming cycle ended in the 1990's. The natural cooling cycle should have begun around 2000 (per solar cycles, Milankovitch cycles, sunspots, etc...), and we should slowly be headed for a "Little Ice Age". Thus, if we don't see any cooling in the next decade or so, I would strongly argue against it being completely natural.

You need to take into consideration the fact that the sun is warming too. That plays a major role in conditions on earth. There have also been, at least from my perspective, many more volcanic eruptions and deathly earthuakes in recent history. This may all be tied in with global warming. The severe storms getting worse because of man causing global warming is silly IMO. How do you then explain the severity of a storm like the blizzard of 1899, the arctic airmass of that year, the many severe storms that you read about in the revolutionary war etc.
Monmouth county NJ

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
It seems to me the world is in a warming trend. It is all the dire future forecasts that I find questionable. Not that they can't happen but simply I don't think we know. Here is something about the 1970s and the dire forecasts for the future by scientists predicting the next ice age. How wrong they were.

http://www.popularte...g-alarmism.html

NittanyLion

Mike- NWS BTV

• Meteorologists
  • 8,930 posts
Here's a fantastic comparison of the land loss in Louisiana due both to rising sea levels but also sinking land and runoff:

http://www.climatewa...iana-since-1932

Click the 2011 vs. 1932 to see the difference.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Mike
NWS Meteorologist
South Burlington, VT

Colchester, VT

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
I would think the vast majority of the change is subsidence and erosion. I doubt other areas of the Gulf have seen such changes. Either way, it does not bode well for New Orleans.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,245 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Posticehater, on 07 April 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

I always argue that mankind and his inventions are a part of nature just like the evolution of plants, animals, insects and everything else is. Nature has given birth to and then took away dinosaurs and many other creatures, insects and plants. It has given us the most dangerous predators we've ever seen in the T-Rex, the great white shark and perhaps before that the 100 foot version of a great white that is theorized. Now it has man evolve to the point of harnessing the earth's energy and starting to harness the suns energy. Folks seem to forget that mankind is part of nature. The issue for me remains how much of global warming is caused by the earth itself going through cycles vs environmental changes brought about by a creature that nature has produced. We act as if we had records for a long time. We've got a few hundred years of records for a planet that has supported life for billions of years. I read that no one has ever seen a spike in global temps like this in history. What they should have said is in a short period of recorded history. I am sure there have been spikes in temps up and down that are a lot greater than what we see today.Has mankind added to global warming. I'm sure it has. But is that add in a teeny tiny fraction of 1% or is nearly 100% of the enchilada. Global warming thorists would have you believe it's the latter without a doubt the way they speak when in fact they are IMO clueless about it.

Ice - funny you mention the Tyrannosaurus Rex just as the original Jurassic Park is coming out in 3D. Imagine walking the earth when those things were alive? I also think that animal was probably a lot smarter than it was depicted in the movie.
Did you know that some paleontologists suggest that the T-Rex was only a scavenger?

Also - what about a 100 foot Great White? I never heard about that.
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

FreezingDrizzle

• Members
  • 8,931 posts
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
Solely for sake of discussion, global warming is far preferable to global cooling. A mere 10,000 years ago there was an ice sheet down to central NJ.
2018-2019 Frozen Precipitation Record

November 15, 2018 - 4.1 inches (Miller A "over-performing" - to sleet, freezing rain, rain, back to sleet on 11/16 7 am)
January 13, 2019 - 0.2 inches (northern edge of "southern slider")
January 18, 2019 - 0.6 inches (weak mid-western storm)
January 30, 2019 - 0.5 inches (intense 20 minute squall on arctic front)
February 11, 2019 - 0.3 inches (northern edge of weak wave from the west)
February 12, 2019 - 1.1 inches snow-sleet-snow-rain (front-end of wave from the west)
February 20, 2019 - 2.3 inches (front-end of wave from the west)
February 28, 2019 - 0.2 inches (southern edge of a clipper)
March 1, 2019 - 0.3 inches (weak clipper)
March 2, 2019 - 3.3 inches
March 4, 2019 - 4.6 inches (SW storm)

Seasonal Total - 17.5 inches

Notable temperatures: 11/22/2018: 18 F (low), 11/23/2018: 12 F (low), 1/21/2019: 5 F (low), 1/22/2019: 11 F (low), 1/24/2019 60 F (high),

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users