Mayor deBlasio

73 replies to this topic

Blizzardboy

Blizzardboy

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • NJ
Hold on to your wallets! Again! This guy is going to give it all away, and fast. The City is in for 4 years of hell IMHO.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostBlizzardboy, on 01 January 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

Hold on to your wallets! Again! This guy is going to give it all away, and fast. The City is in for 4 years of hell IMHO.

I don't think the city is in for hell imo. Whether you think de Blasio will be effective, let's put into perspective what "hell" means. Hell was Tammany Hall. Hell was the 1970s, when the city was in many ways like Detroit is today. Hell was 9/11. Unless there's a political mob that forms, a city heading toward bankruptcy, or a terrorist attack, I don't think the city is in for hell.

Now as for whether de Blasio will be effective, that's up in the air. I'm not convinced that any policy will reduce the inequality in this city imo.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

GameOfLove

• Members
  • 3,625 posts
  • Newburgh
  • NY
Take it easy there. Before you along with others start going for the doomsday secenario can we give it until at least the summer or this time next year and see what he actually does??
Hudson Valley Region
Elevation: 285 ft

Flickr Account:
http://www.flickr.co...os/springhudson

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostGameOfLove, on 02 January 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

Take it easy there. Before you along with others start going for the doomsday secenario can we give it until at least the summer or this time next year and see what he actually does??

I can understand the uneasiness about him, especially since he is proposing significant changes from what we've had in the last 20 years. However, I think we need some perspective on what "hell" really means. And as I said in the post above, unless we get a political machine, a Detroit-like economic collapse (which would have other effects, such as an uptick in crime), or a terrorist attack, predictions of "hell for the next four years" are exaggerated imo.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 01 January 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hell was the 1970s, when the city was in many ways like Detroit is today.... I'm not convinced that any policy will reduce the inequality in this city imo.

A return to the way things were in the 70s is exactly what people are afraid of with this guy...and rightly so. I'm not sure how many people even anyone actually voted for Bill DeBlasio the candidate...they were only voting for his son's afro. His whole "tale of two cities" is such a crock of you-know-what. Are there haves and have-nots? Of course. That's the way things work in a capitalist society. It's not governments role to directly turn all the have-nots into haves by taking from the haves and giving to the have-nots. Government's role is to make sure individuals have the opportunity and means to turn themselves into "haves". The previous poster is correct - "hold on to your wallets"! Between the big federal tax increases that are now going to kick in for Obamacare, and whatever changes DeBlasio manages to get through...it's an all-out assault on our income.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

NittanyLion

Mike- NWS BTV

• Meteorologists
  • 8,930 posts

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 02 January 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

A return to the way things were in the 70s is exactly what people are afraid of with this guy...and rightly so. I'm not sure how many people even anyone actually voted for Bill DeBlasio the candidate...they were only voting for his son's afro. His whole "tale of two cities" is such a crock of you-know-what. Are there haves and have-nots? Of course. That's the way things work in a capitalist society. It's not governments role to directly turn all the have-nots into haves by taking from the haves and giving to the have-nots. Government's role is to make sure individuals have the opportunity and means to turn themselves into "haves". The previous poster is correct - "hold on to your wallets"! Between the big federal tax increases that are now going to kick in for Obamacare, and whatever changes DeBlasio manages to get through...it's an all-out assault on our income.

Unless the haves get to where they are by illegal means or by exploiting the loopholes and the have nots.

And lets remember the income gap has grown incredibly over the past couple of decades as income tax rates and laws meant to hold wall street and the like in check have relaxed considerably.
Mike
NWS Meteorologist
South Burlington, VT
Elevation: 332 ft
Snowfall 2014-2015: 83.4"

Colchester, VT
Elevation: 311 ft

The views expressed in this post are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Weather Service.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 02 January 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

There are so many factors beyond any mayor's control that would cause a 70s-like collapse, namely, the massive loss of industry that happened nationwide at that time.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

BlizzLuv

• Members
  • 253 posts
:) Think Bloomberg is already at his place in the Virgin Islands or Bermuda (forget where it is...)
Hillsborough, NJ (Somerset Cty)

GameOfLove

• Members
  • 3,625 posts
  • Newburgh
  • NY

View PostNittanyLion, on 02 January 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

Unless the haves get to where they are by illegal means or by exploiting the loopholes and the have nots.

And lets remember the income gap has grown incredibly over the past couple of decades as income tax rates and laws meant to hold wall street and the like in check have relaxed considerably.

Exactly. How much more can our economy handle the gap between the middle class and rich. The middle class drives the economy, not the rich.

Have we all blocked out how Wall Street brought our whole economy down and how many went to jail? None. To them it's just a game they look down on the middle class and poor like a bunch of puppets and idiots - just have to look at the madness called Black Friday.
Hudson Valley Region

Flickr Account:

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
When the argument is made about raising taxes on the rich, it really misses the root of the problem. If the wealthy actually paid the going tax rate on all of their income, there would be no need for tax increases on anyone. The issue, as others point out, are loopholes wealthy families use, that allow for much lower or essentially zero tax rates on some or most of their income. Also, capital gains, which is a big cash cow for many wealthy investors, are still taxed well below the top rate of 39.6%.

Flatten out the tax code so that every wealthy dollar earned is taxed at the same top tier rate of say 33%. No loopholes, no exceptions. Capital gains, everything, 33%. One third of their income. Combine that with a minimum wage raise to 10-11 bucks and I would think it would go a long way to addressing the inequality gap as well as adequately funding the more necessary parts of the public service.

If only it were that simple..........
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,691 posts
Agree gps. Tax rates in general are much lower now than they were in the 70s and 80s. Not to say the 'middle class' should be taxed more but something needs to be done.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

robbbs

• Administrator
  • 16,431 posts

View Postgpsnavigator, on 02 January 2014 - 08:29 PM, said:

When the argument is made about raising taxes on the rich, it really misses the root of the problem. If the wealthy actually paid the going tax rate on all of their income, there would be no need for tax increases on anyone. The issue, as others point out, are loopholes wealthy families use, that allow for much lower or essentially zero tax rates on some or most of their income. Also, capital gains, which is a big cash cow for many wealthy investors, are still taxed well below the top rate of 39.6%.

Flatten out the tax code so that every wealthy dollar earned is taxed at the same top tier rate of say 33%. No loopholes, no exceptions. Capital gains, everything, 33%. One third of their income. Combine that with a minimum wage raise to 10-11 bucks and I would think it would go a long way to addressing the inequality gap as well as adequately funding the more necessary parts of the public service.

I've always liked the notion of a Federal sales tax and elimination of the income tax. It would have to be thought thru extensively as you don't want to eliminate deductions which spur the economy (ie. mortgage interest and prop taxes). However, a national sales tax would capture tax revenue from an enormous underground economy and in so doing, lower taxes for everyone else. Again, it has to be thought through carefully but there are some merits there worth looking at.
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

GameOfLove

• Members
  • 3,625 posts
  • Newburgh
  • NY

A+ Totally agree with you.
Hudson Valley Region

Flickr Account:

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,209 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

I agree with you about the wealthy and loopholes, close them. Capitol gains I'm not so sure. A lot of middle class folks have capitol gains and depend on that income to survive or retire on. Also lets not be naive in thinking the poor and middle class or those who get money from the government in many cases don't take advantage and get what they are not entitled to.

How to solve the problem, hard question to answer but folks not ripping the system off and our government cutting down on wasteful spending would sure go a long way. Maybe a flat tax would be good but not 33%. I would hope something like 15% would be good enough. Not much chance of it happening.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,264 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
400,00, not sustainable

http://blogs.wsj.com...cellors-salary/

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,795 posts

What about the number of low income people who pay no taxes? All loopholes should be closed, not just those who make X amount of dollars. Politicians talk about "paying fair share" so it should include everyone.

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,795 posts
Also, please define RICH for me? Is a person living in manhattan rich if they make $100k. $200k? Is a family living in Bergen county rich if they make $150k combined? The number is arbitrary.

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,699 posts

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 09 January 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

Also, please define RICH for me? Is a person living in manhattan rich if they make $100k. $200k? Is a family living in Bergen county rich if they make $150k combined? The number is arbitrary.

So true. A family making $150,000 living in some rural area of middle America (or even many areas in upsate or western NY to keep it more "local") is probably living very nicely and would probably be considered "rich" by the many of their neighbors. A family making $150,000 in NYC or its heavily taxed suburbs...is getting by.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

NittanyLion

Mike- NWS BTV

• Meteorologists
  • 8,930 posts

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 09 January 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

So true. A family making $150,000 living in some rural area of middle America (or even many areas in upsate or western NY to keep it more "local") is probably living very nicely and would probably be considered "rich" by the many of their neighbors. A family making $150,000 in NYC or its heavily taxed suburbs...is getting by.

I don't think anyone would argue with that. Cost of living is definitely an issue.
Mike
NWS Meteorologist
South Burlington, VT
Elevation: 332 ft
Snowfall 2014-2015: 83.4"

Colchester, VT
Elevation: 311 ft

The views expressed in this post are solely mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Weather Service.

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,209 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postvascudave, on 09 January 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

This is something I find questionable. Someone with a high paying job, retires, and gets a high paying pension. Then they go right out in the same field and get another high paying job. So now they collect the pension and continue to work. Probably the worst thing about it is they take work away from younger people that are still in the work force and not collecting a pension.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users