Jump to content

Mayor deBlasio


73 replies to this topic

#61
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View Postweatherbowl, on 11 March 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

The success of Charter schools is the same reason why Catholic schools are successful. They kick out the trouble makers and you have parents that are very involved with their child's education. Public schools have to take all children whether they want to be there or not, whether they are smart or not, whether they have involved parents or not. This makes a big difference.

Lots of Catholic schools have merged or closed around here in recent years. I'd hardly call that success. My experiences at successful Catholic schools mirror what you say, but I can't speak for Catholic schools that struggle with enrollments.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#62
Mike_The_Golfer

  • Members
  • 2,753 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ozone Park, NY

View Postthundersleet, on 12 March 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Lots of Catholic schools have merged or closed around here in recent years. I'd hardly call that success. My experiences at successful Catholic schools mirror what you say, but I can't speak for Catholic schools that struggle with enrollments.

The closings and mergers of Catholic schools has more to do with the changing demographics of the city than anything else. You simply have far less Catholics than in the past, and there was a s#!+load of Catholic schools. For example. here in Ozone Park, the Catholic school I went to growing up was merged with another Catholic school - that was literally right around the corner! In fact there had to be at least a dozen Catholic schools within a 2-3 mile radius - each with strong enrollment figures. And this was common in a lot of neighborhoods throughout the city. Once you started having the "white flight" and so many of the white catholics fled many of these neighborhoods for the suburbs (mostly to Long Island, for Queens neighborhoods), you were left with an unnecessary surplus of Catholic schools and then they struggled with enrollment.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

#63
icehater

  • Members
  • 23,215 posts
  • Location:Northern Monmouth county

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 12 March 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

The closings and mergers of Catholic schools has more to do with the changing demographics of the city than anything else. You simply have far less Catholics than in the past, and there was a s#!+load of Catholic schools. For example. here in Ozone Park, the Catholic school I went to growing up was merged with another Catholic school - that was literally right around the corner! In fact there had to be at least a dozen Catholic schools within a 2-3 mile radius - each with strong enrollment figures. And this was common in a lot of neighborhoods throughout the city. Once you started having the "white flight" and so many of the white catholics fled many of these neighborhoods for the suburbs (mostly to Long Island, for Queens neighborhoods), you were left with an unnecessary surplus of Catholic schools and then they struggled with enrollment.
Same for me and completely agree with you. There must have been 9 or 10 churches within a 3 mile radius of my house in Brooklyn and everyone of them was filled to brim for each Sunday mass. But folks just moved away left and right especially in the 70's. I lasted to 1983. All my friends moved out around that time too. Mt Carmel because of the feast was well known. We used to play each other in different sports on an unofficial basis. There seemed to be a bigger church every few blocks. Some were so close to each other you could hit a ball further away in stickball. All you have to do is look at Saturday Night Fever to see that old religious effect..
Monmouth county NJ

#64
FreezingDrizzle

  • Members
  • 8,985 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:200 yds. from Raritan Bay, elevation 37' --
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
TS - Catholic schools are closing not because are unsuccessful academically, but, rather, because enrollments have gone down. Enrollments have gone down because parochial schools became expensive once they had to hire lay teachers due to the shortage of nuns.

#65
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 12 March 2014 - 03:59 PM, said:

The closings and mergers of Catholic schools has more to do with the changing demographics of the city than anything else. You simply have far less Catholics than in the past, and there was a s#!+load of Catholic schools. For example. here in Ozone Park, the Catholic school I went to growing up was merged with another Catholic school - that was literally right around the corner! In fact there had to be at least a dozen Catholic schools within a 2-3 mile radius - each with strong enrollment figures. And this was common in a lot of neighborhoods throughout the city. Once you started having the "white flight" and so many of the white catholics fled many of these neighborhoods for the suburbs (mostly to Long Island, for Queens neighborhoods), you were left with an unnecessary surplus of Catholic schools and then they struggled with enrollment.

View Posticehater, on 12 March 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Same for me and completely agree with you. There must have been 9 or 10 churches within a 3 mile radius of my house in Brooklyn and everyone of them was filled to brim for each Sunday mass. But folks just moved away left and right especially in the 70's. I lasted to 1983. All my friends moved out around that time too. Mt Carmel because of the feast was well known. We used to play each other in different sports on an unofficial basis.

Can't argue with either of you regarding the white flight. The only reason my parents were able to afford my current neighborhood (South Ozone Park) was because of white flight. Housing prices around my neck of the woods were pretty bottomed out at that time. The Catholic school I went to was unusual in that the majority of students were not Catholic (the place just had that good of a reputation education-wise). As a result I've often been of the mindset that successful Catholic schools can survive even with changing demographics (my Catholic grammar school being a banner example of that). However I acknowledge that this is unusual, and that my unusual experience (demographic-wise) in a Catholic grammar school probably makes me completely out-of-touch in some ways with the current reality of Catholic schools. I know that I've drifted this conversation plenty OT by talking about Catholic schools instead of the mayor's issue with certain charter schools. Because of that, I'll stop with this post in regards to the talk of Catholic schools. Carry on.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#66
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY
Here are some interesting stats on public vs. charter schools in NYC. This is interesting to look at, regardless of where you side regarding the mayor and charters:
http://www.nyccharte...s_Corrected.pdf
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#67
icehater

  • Members
  • 23,215 posts
  • Location:Northern Monmouth county

View Postthundersleet, on 12 March 2014 - 08:05 PM, said:





Can't argue with either of you regarding the white flight. The only reason my parents were able to afford my current neighborhood (South Ozone Park) was because of white flight. Housing prices around my neck of the woods were pretty bottomed out at that time. The Catholic school I went to was unusual in that the majority of students were not Catholic (the place just had that good of a reputation education-wise). As a result I've often been of the mindset that successful Catholic schools can survive even with changing demographics (my Catholic grammar school being a banner example of that). However I acknowledge that this is unusual, and that my unusual experience (demographic-wise) in a Catholic grammar school probably makes me completely out-of-touch in some ways with the current reality of Catholic schools. I know that I've drifted this conversation plenty OT by talking about Catholic schools instead of the mayor's issue with certain charter schools. Because of that, I'll stop with this post in regards to the talk of Catholic schools. Carry on.

It was more than a white flight. It was an "I want to get out of the neighborhood" flight. Whites had the best opportunity. But I had black friends from school that wanted and did the same thing. They were Catholic too. People wanted a better life for themselves and their eventual family and everyone believed owning and living in the suburbs was the way to go. Keep in mind that the Catholic schools grouped together the parents so dedicated to wanting a better life for their family naturally. But from a business standpoint they actually were choking off their own future. The parents paid instead of choosing the free public route and in those days paying meant a lower quality of food went on the table or the family had no car to drive, no ac to cool off a home. Those are the people that got out the quickest and for all intent and purposes the Catholic schools choked off their own renewable customers because there were fewer and fewer families to renew from. Today I have young people in my family that want to move back to Williamsburg, where I grew up and get out of the burbs. They think we were nuts to want to leave there in the first place. Just shows you how the world goes round and round.
Monmouth county NJ

#68
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 20 February 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

This guy has "one-term" written all over him. Question is...how much damage does he do in his four years?

If only the people of NY had a brain
Anthony

#69
Mike_The_Golfer

  • Members
  • 2,753 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ozone Park, NY

View Postmetfan4life, on 02 July 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

If only the people of NY had a brain

Yep. Every day on the news there are stories about the deplorable conditions in NYCHA homes. It's hard for me to have sympathy for these people (the adults, at least) because they didn't take advantage of the opportunity to vote this clown out. I bet 95% of people living in NYCHA homes either voted for DeBlasio or didnt vote at all. So they get what they deserve...more of the same. Of course, the children are the innocent victims.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

#70
nyrangers1022

  • Members
  • 1,726 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:cornwall on hudson, NY (orange county )
Same thing with the Governor. Basically NYC, Albany and one other county vote for him and it's always plenty for him to win. While us "upstate" people suffer from that idiot

#71
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,889 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 02 July 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:



Yep. Every day on the news there are stories about the deplorable conditions in NYCHA homes. It's hard for me to have sympathy for these people (the adults, at least) because they didn't take advantage of the opportunity to vote this clown out. I bet 95% of people living in NYCHA homes either voted for DeBlasio or didnt vote at all. So they get what they deserve...more of the same. Of course, the children are the innocent victims.

NYC will never vote Republican

Sad to say
Anthony

#72
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 02 July 2018 - 10:55 PM, said:



Yep. Every day on the news there are stories about the deplorable conditions in NYCHA homes. It's hard for me to have sympathy for these people (the adults, at least) because they didn't take advantage of the opportunity to vote this clown out. I bet 95% of people living in NYCHA homes either voted for DeBlasio or didnt vote at all. So they get what they deserve...more of the same. Of course, the children are the innocent victims.
AND WHERES THe concern for the children???!!!!
protests everywhere except for our own living in worse conditions than those in the detention centers


#73
Mike_The_Golfer

  • Members
  • 2,753 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ozone Park, NY

View Postvascudave, on 03 July 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

AND WHERES THe concern for the children???!!!!
protests everywhere except for our own living in worse conditions than those in the detention centers

that's liberal logic for ya!
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

#74
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
more concern

https://losangeles.c...-oc-bike-trail/





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users