Mayor deBlasio

73 replies to this topic

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,777 posts
This guy has "one-term" written all over him. Question is...how much damage does he do in his four years?
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postvascudave, on 13 February 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

no problem with not closing...but this woulda been the exception. if noone was hurt they will be lucky. mayor d said stay off roads, but bring your kids in. makes sense.

Just as Bloomy had 20" of snow to deal with but told people to go to Broadway Shows. Make that two mayors who don't make sense when it comes to snow.

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 20 February 2014 - 05:16 PM, said:

This guy has "one-term" written all over him. Question is...how much damage does he do in his four years?

Disagree completely in terms of the idea that he's a one-termer. One needs to separate personal feelings of deBlasio from the reality of the electorate. The reality of the electorate is that deBlasio is working with the biggest coalition since the Koch years. Now Koch also showed in his third term that such coalitions are capable of quickly turning into rubble. However, until I see that coalition implode, I will remain unconvinced that he will be a one-term mayor (regardless of how much I may like or dislike him).
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,467 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postthundersleet, on 20 February 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Just as Bloomy had 20" of snow to deal with but told people to go to Broadway Shows. Make that two mayors who don't make sense when it comes to snow.

Disagree completely in terms of the idea that he's a one-termer. One needs to separate personal feelings of deBlasio from the reality of the electorate. The reality of the electorate is that deBlasio is working with the biggest coalition since the Koch years. Now Koch also showed in his third term that such coalitions are capable of quickly turning into rubble. However, until I see that coalition implode, I will remain unconvinced that he will be a one-term mayor (regardless of how much I may like or dislike him).

Being hypocritical is not going to make him any friends and with a news media just ready to pounce on one and all you better practice what you preach and not do as mentioned below.

So the Mayor held a news conference the other day saying that a crackdown on bad drivers should take place to save lives. So channel 2 news decides to follow the Mayor as he and his staff (in 2 vehicles) travel to where ever they were going. The results were, they blew through stop signs and did 40-45 in a 30mph zone, and 60 in a 45 mph zone.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postweatherbowl, on 20 February 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

Being hypocritical is not going to make him any friends and with a news media just ready to pounce on one and all you better practice what you preach and not do as mentioned below.

So the Mayor held a news conference the other day saying that a crackdown on bad drivers should take place to save lives. So channel 2 news decides to follow the Mayor as he and his staff (in 2 vehicles) travel to where ever they were going. The results were, they blew through stop signs and did 40-45 in a 30mph zone, and 60 in a 45 mph zone.

Sounds like typical NYC driving lol.

Getting back on topic--I agree that being a hypocrite doesn't make any friends, but let's face it: if going 40-45 in a 30mph zone is the worst we could say after four years of any mayor, I'd consider that a pretty good term. Now I expect bigger obstacles along the way than this. Until those bigger obstacles arise, I am not going to waver in what I said earlier.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,467 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postthundersleet, on 20 February 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

Sounds like typical NYC driving lol.

Getting back on topic--I agree that being a hypocrite doesn't make any friends, but let's face it: if going 40-45 in a 30mph zone is the worst we could say after four years of any mayor, I'd consider that a pretty good term. Now I expect bigger obstacles along the way than this. Until those bigger obstacles arise, I am not going to waver in what I said earlier.

I agree with you but lets be clear, he did 45 in a 30, 60 in a 45 and ran stop signs after telling everyone else to drive safe and save lives. Getting to more serious issues, one of the things he will have to wrestle with are union contracts.

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,055 posts
Not so sure.....If you are voting for Santa Clause, who is handing out everything (DiBlasio) or Scrooge who wants to limit or take things away (Republicans), who do most people vote for?

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,442 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
gotta say good for channel 2 in following this fink around. he personally said its all our responsibility to keep everyone safe. 2 days later his drivers break enough laws to loose their license and he obviously condones it. we need more news outlets to play P.I. with our elected officials.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postweatherbowl, on 20 February 2014 - 10:59 PM, said:

I agree with you but lets be clear, he did 45 in a 30, 60 in a 45 and ran stop signs after telling everyone else to drive safe and save lives. Getting to more serious issues, one of the things he will have to wrestle with are union contracts.

I was actually thinking about that when posting last night. The new mayor has a lot of contract disputes to deal with.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,777 posts

View Postvascudave, on 21 February 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

gotta say good for channel 2 in following this fink around. he personally said its all our responsibility to keep everyone safe. 2 days later his drivers break enough laws to loose their license and he obviously condones it. we need more news outlets to play P.I. with our elected officials.

And in his campaign for road safety, one of the things he wants to do is add more red light cameras. As if that has anything to do with safety. Those are simply revenue generators and nothing else. Every study done on red light cameras shows that accidents increase at any intersection where one is placed because of how many people end up slamming on their brakes to avoid the ticket and then get rear-ended.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 21 February 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

And in his campaign for road safety, one of the things he wants to do is add more red light cameras. As if that has anything to do with safety. Those are simply revenue generators and nothing else. Every study done on red light cameras shows that accidents increase at any intersection where one is placed because of how many people end up slamming on their brakes to avoid the ticket and then get rear-ended.

Mike-I agree with you on red light cameras being revenue-generators. Speaking of revenue-generators, there are the restaurant inspections. They are claimed to be a way of "letting the public know about food safety" but all this does is punish small businesses. Heck, my favorite bakery got closed by the health inspector once (and almost never gets an A), my favorite Chinese restaurant got closed by the health inspector once, and my favorite Italian restaurant gets more "Grade Pendings" than scores of A. On the other hand I see very few large chains get low grades. I hope this problem gets fixed by the new mayor and fixed soon before some of my favorite eateries get closed due to thousands upon thousands in fines from the health inspections.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,777 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 21 February 2014 - 04:33 PM, said:

Mike-I agree with you on red light cameras being revenue-generators. Speaking of revenue-generators, there are the restaurant inspections. They are claimed to be a way of "letting the public know about food safety" but all this does is punish small businesses. Heck, my favorite bakery got closed by the health inspector once (and almost never gets an A), my favorite Chinese restaurant got closed by the health inspector once, and my favorite Italian restaurant gets more "Grade Pendings" than scores of A. On the other hand I see very few large chains get low grades. I hope this problem gets fixed by the new mayor and fixed soon before some of my favorite eateries get closed due to thousands upon thousands in fines from the health inspections.

All these things - the inspections, red-light cameras, or the huge army of traffic agents whose only job is to issue ticket after ticket (and don't forget about the state surchage added to each one - they have to get their cut too) , etc. - are nothing more than taxes that just don't get called taxes.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,442 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 21 February 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

thats the obvious reason as he has to pay for his programs to level out the lopsided city. just a shame when he was questioned, he basically said, whatever the commissioner said. cmon would have been refreshing if he just admitted wrong doing and said they would at least go over protocol. there is zero reason them to drive around like that.

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,755 posts
This issue isn't unique to deBlasio, although he got caught and should be a better role model. Remember John Corzine? Or the Democratic Assemblyman who got pulled over last year for doing 71 in a 55, then tried to pull some stunts to get out of the ticket. Unfortunately, too many public officials and their spouses/relatives, be they police, fire, executive, etc., have essentially been granted immunity from traffic laws. Most cops in their off duty hours probably commit worse moving violations than those that they just wrote tickets to hours earlier while on duty. I've never been a supporter of police shields or PBA cards, specialty license plates, job titles, or other props that grant licenses to drive (like an idiot) -- everyone should be held equally accountable, and in my opinion, the only time police, fire, and EMS should be permitted to ignore traffic laws, is if there is an emergency.

My girlfriend got a ticket last summer a mile from our apartment for a rolling stop in the mall parking lot at 10 pm on a Monday -- we were having a late dinner and the place was deserted. Talk about ridiculous. I fought it and even went to the chief of police on the grounds that I've seen Rockaway patrol cars blowing stops and turning without blinkers during much busier times.

I'm in favor of crackdowns on idiotic driving including suspension of license in the worst cases. My point is it isn't right that any public officials get to drive like this while you and I get a ticket. And I'm just reading the story. Shame on deBlasio for not addressing the concern when asked.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
Is it true that his approval rating has plummeted to under 40 already?
Monmouth county NJ

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,442 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Posticehater, on 10 March 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

when you hang out with rev al anything is possible, even 39% rating. i just dont get this guy.

http://nationalactio...ally-march-8th/

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,818 posts
Just the fact that he wants to get rid of the horse carriages in Central Park tells me all i need to know about him.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 11 March 2014 - 06:02 AM, said:

Just the fact that he wants to get rid of the horse carriages in Central Park tells me all i need to know about him.

I don't care either way about the horse carriages. However, if we're going to talk about animal cruelty with the horse carriages, why aren't we talking about animal cruelty at horse racing tracks? I know that is not in deBlasio's control per se (more in Cuomo's control, so this is somewhat OT), but if we're going to talk about treatment of horses, that has to be included in the discussion.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Posticehater, on 10 March 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

I don't know. I honestly haven't paid much attention to his approval ratings. I wouldn't be surprised if his approval rating is sinking due to the flap over the Success Academy charter schools. Charter schools are trendy, so any attempt to derail any of them will hurt deBlasio's approval ratings.

The truth about charter schools, though, is that they do no better on standardized tests than their public school counterparts:
http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1420863
http://www.washingto...36ed_story.html

As for Success Academy, what doesn't get mentioned is WHY deBlasio did not approve of these charters under the banner of Success Academy. This was what city officials noted about the plan, according to The New York Times:
"In explaining the changes, city officials noted that some plans approved by Mr. Bloomberg would have required elementary school students to attend class inside high school buildings, and others would have required cutting programs for students with disabilities."

If that is indeed the case, I don't blame deBlasio for not approving of the charter school plan. I probably would've done the same thing.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,467 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
The success of Charter schools is the same reason why Catholic schools are successful. They kick out the trouble makers and you have parents that are very involved with their child's education. Public schools have to take all children whether they want to be there or not, whether they are smart or not, whether they have involved parents or not. This makes a big difference.

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 11 March 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

I don't know. I honestly haven't paid much attention to his approval ratings. I wouldn't be surprised if his approval rating is sinking due to the flap over the Success Academy charter schools. Charter schools are trendy, so any attempt to derail any of them will hurt deBlasio's approval ratings.

The truth about charter schools, though, is that they do no better on standardized tests than their public school counterparts:
http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1420863
http://www.washingto...36ed_story.html

As for Success Academy, what doesn't get mentioned is WHY deBlasio did not approve of these charters under the banner of Success Academy. This was what city officials noted about the plan, according to The New York Times:
"In explaining the changes, city officials noted that some plans approved by Mr. Bloomberg would have required elementary school students to attend class inside high school buildings, and others would have required cutting programs for students with disabilities."

If that is indeed the case, I don't blame deBlasio for not approving of the charter school plan. I probably would've done the same thing.
Newspapers don't get any more liberal than the NY Times. Be careful what you trust from that newspaper. They will almost always give you just the side of the story they want you to hear. Weatherbowl's post makes imminent more sense to me.
Monmouth county NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users