Issues with the site - some info

16 replies to this topic

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,772 posts
Guys - everyone knows there are some technical issues with the site (enter key issues, etc). I have them too depending on which PC i'm on. I've been talking to John and i'm anticipating there will be some changes to the board. it's just a matter of working things out with Brett. That being said he is the one with the technical expertise on these things and they will need to be fixed somehow. We're hoping we can talk to him and get things ironed out possibly when he is between semesters at school. So best i can say is try to deal with it for now and hopefully we can get back on track by the summer.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 19 March 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Guys - everyone knows there are some technical issues with the site (enter key issues, etc). I have them too depending on which PC i'm on. I've been talking to John and i'm anticipating there will be some changes to the board. it's just a matter of working things out with Brett. That being said he is the one with the technical expertise on these things and they will need to be fixed somehow. We're hoping we can talk to him and get things ironed out possibly when he is between semesters at school. So best i can say is try to deal with it for now and hopefully we can get back on track by the summer.

In the meantime, one suggestion I have (just from personal experience) is to use web browsers other than IE. I was actually dissatisfied with IE for awhile, but the enter key issues with IE 10 were the last straw for me. I've had Google Chrome ever since and I don't have such problems. Not that Chrome is perfect either, but at least I can function.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,160 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 19 March 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

Well said Bryan. The staff here at NYC Metro Weather apologizes for the technical issues members have been experiencing over the winter season.
We are working with Brett and our software provider to get everything squared away, hopefully by the start of the summer season.
With that being said, we ask our loyal members to bear with us during the maintenance periods this spring.
There are also going to be changes with staffing that will be announced this spring season.

Brett, Bryan and myself work hard everyday trying to keep the flow of content on the board running smoothly and we are very grateful to have such wonderful, knowledgeable posters with us and look forward to many more years of weather talk, even if it is the 380 hour GFS :-)
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,160 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postthundersleet, on 19 March 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

In the meantime, one suggestion I have (just from personal experience) is to use web browsers other than IE. I was actually dissatisfied with IE for awhile, but the enter key issues with IE 10 were the last straw for me. I've had Google Chrome ever since and I don't have such problems. Not that Chrome is perfect either, but at least I can function.

I have never had a good experience with ANY version of IE. I have a Mac now so it doesn't matter - but when I had my Dell, I would always use Google Chrome. It was leagues ahead of IE.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postweathergeek87, on 19 March 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Well said Bryan. The staff here at NYC Metro Weather apologizes for the technical issues members have been experiencing over the winter season.
We are working with Brett and our software provider to get everything squared away, hopefully by the start of the summer season.
With that being said, we ask our loyal members to bear with us during the maintenance periods this spring.
There are also going to be changes with staffing that will be announced this spring season.

Brett, Bryan and myself work hard everyday trying to keep the flow of content on the board running smoothly and we are very grateful to have such wonderful, knowledgeable posters with us and look forward to many more years of weather talk, even if it is the 380 hour GFS :-)

Well, there are still many more glitches in the 380 hour GFS than in here lol. Now whether you interpret it as a compliment to the board or a proper bashing of the 380 hour GFS, you can interpret it however you want. :biggrin:

View Postweathergeek87, on 19 March 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

I have never had a good experience with ANY version of IE. I have a Mac now so it doesn't matter - but when I had my Dell, I would always use Google Chrome. It was leagues ahead of IE.

I prefer Chrome over IE on my HP. But as I said, my anti-IE post is mostly a suggestion of how to potentially weather this problem. There also seems to be a problem with Macs, but I can't speak for that since I don't have one.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

lab94

• Moderators
  • 12,068 posts
  • Oak_Ridge
  • NJ
Changed to Chrome and its much better
http://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/

My COCORAHS ID - NJ-MS-18

http://nycmetroweath...r/lab94/br1.jpg

Elevation 794
18-19 to date 20.1"
17-18 snowfall- 79.3"
15-16 snowfall - 34.2".........16-17 snowfall- 48.7"
13-14 snowfall - 65.6".........14-15 snowfall - 63.4"
11-12 snowfall - 22.8".........12-13 snowfall - 52.1
09-10 Snowfall- 75.30" .....10-11 snowfall - 62.00"
07-08 snowfall- 39.40".. . ...08-09 snowfall- 42.70"

Snowfall Average 53.22"

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
I don't know how this is possible but on my Windows 8 computer I have my old pix of the palm tree as my avatar and on every other device I have it shows the new picture I put up. I'll never understand, nor will I ever buy anything with windows 8 again.
Monmouth county NJ

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Posticehater, on 11 September 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

I don't know how this is possible but on my Windows 8 computer I have my old pix of the palm tree as my avatar and on every other device I have it shows the new picture I put up. I'll never understand, nor will I ever buy anything with windows 8 again.

I have heard so many horror stories about Windows 8.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
Windows 8.1 with IE is not compatible on this computer. Can't cut and paste and letters are often missed despite no keyboard input errors. Can't quote any posters either. Windows 8 is OK but not 8.1. Unfortunately once you go to 8.1 you can't role back to 8.
Monmouth county NJ

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY
I have an issue of my own. I changed the profile pic recently, but my personal profile page still has the old profile pic. It's like the change in picture has registered for everything except the user profile page. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,160 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postthundersleet, on 03 November 2014 - 07:51 AM, said:

I have an issue of my own. I changed the profile pic recently, but my personal profile page still has the old profile pic. It's like the change in picture has registered for everything except the user profile page. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

I see the new picture on both pages.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postweathergeek87, on 03 November 2014 - 03:15 PM, said:

I see the new picture on both pages.

Huh. That is really strange, because this is what I see on my profile page:
Posted Image

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
This is how it postswith windows 8.1. It starts out OKtheb t goe crzy misinga bun ofkeys.

This is actually a good post. Many are much much worse. And you can't cut and paste or use any font changes to bold or font size changes. The reason is you can't highlight anything on this site or quote anyone. Windows 8.1 is just not compatible with IE and this site.
Monmouth county NJ

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
OK - let's see if it works with Chrome.

http://www.weather.c...ay/l/07722:4:US

No issue. typing is good and it cuts and pastes. It's an IE and 8.1 problem with this site. I never had the problem with 8.0 though.
Monmouth county NJ

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Posticehater, on 02 December 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

OK - let's see if it works with Chrome.

http://www.weather.c...ay/l/07722:4:US

No issue. typing is good and it cuts and pastes. It's an IE and 8.1 problem with this site. I never had the problem with 8.0 though.

This is one of many reasons why Chrome is flat-out better than IE. Chrome is also SO much faster and crashes less often. I've converted from IE to Chrome and don't see myself turning back anytime soon.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
TS - try google chrome if you have windows 8.1. The issues I have go away with chrome.
Monmouth county NJ

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Posticehater, on 11 December 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

TS - try google chrome if you have windows 8.1. The issues I have go away with chrome.

Yes, issues go away with Chrome. This is one of many reasons why I am a Chrome person these days and only use IE as a last resort. Of course it also crashes less often as well. If anyone else is having issues on this site with IE, try things on Chrome (or I assume Firefox, bud I don't know because I haven't used it in awhile).

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users