Fairbanks Alaska

9 replies to this topic

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,442 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
I didn't realize how quickly the cold sets in up there. In October the average temperature in Fairbanks is 45-28 on October 1 and at the end of the month it is 19-4. Maybe the waning sunlight has something to do with it.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

FreezingDrizzle

• Members
  • 9,002 posts
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
You and Ice's got me curious with your recent posts on Alaska.

Alaska only has 735,000 people. 290,000 live in greater Anchorage, with only 30,000 each in Fairbanks and Juneau. Three more towns are over 10,000, then it drops down to small towns and villages.

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,807 posts
As ice mentioned there are a lot of shows on now about AK. Definitely an interesting life up there. I would live there for a year but not permanently. I bet many of those people in Living Alaska have no clue what they are in for.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
As I said in another post Fairbanks is a nice summer. Average highs make it into the low 70's for an extended period with lows in the 50's. That's not all that different then far northern areas around here. 80s happen with greater frequency than you'd think. What is different is the steady climb and steady degradation for winter to summer and vice versa. It seems that the weather doesn't vary much in the transition period. Once they get above freezing in daytime by early April just about every succeeding day is steadily higher and vice versa in the Autumn. They don't seem to get an unusually cold or warm day in the transition period. Just successive steadily changing temps in the direction of the season they are moving to. That's why you have the big temp change in October that Weatherbowl alluded to and it works in reverse in April and May. I imagine a 90+ day is very hot in Fairbanks with the sun high in the NW sky and such a long lasting 22 hour day of sun, something we can never see here. That sun is still blazing at 10PM. Interesting that Barrow is always portrayed as 6 months of darkness. But even in the dead of winter they have hours of dusk and the sun only sets for around 120 days, not 180. If you can catch it watch that Living Alaska show on HGTV especially the one in the Halibut Cove area.They have a floating post office and it's a gorgeous area. They feature a $1.7mln home on that episode.

BTW I remember reading the arctic cam message board on a day where Fairbanks had a big power failure. It was -20 to -30 outside and indoor home temps dropped into the 30's within hours. Very dangerous situation when that happens. Another interesting thing is schooling. In Fairbanks they will allow outdoor recess for school children to -20 degrees. Here we were saying shut the school on the bitter days last winters with single digit temps. Remember also that the ice fog is dangerous up there and the valley is almost always colder than the high elevations during the very cold periods.

One other thing I noticed is the snow is much deeper in the Fairbanks area than you ever see on the arctic cam. They seem to get about 20-25" of snow every December and it can't melt until Spring.
Monmouth county NJ

GameOfLove

• Members
  • 3,625 posts
  • Newburgh
  • NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 27 October 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

As ice mentioned there are a lot of shows on now about AK. Definitely an interesting life up there. I would live there for a year but not permanently. I bet many of those people in Living Alaska have no clue what they are in for.

Just this past Friday Discovery Channel aired yet another new show about the bush of AK. The cold, the darkness and just being out of no-where will make me go crazy.

http://www.discovery.../edge-of-alaska
Hudson Valley Region
Elevation: 285 ft

Flickr Account:
http://www.flickr.co...os/springhudson

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
Living Alaska

http://www.hgtv.com/...show/index.html
Monmouth county NJ

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
Here's the Fairbanks sunrise and sunset times for December. They actually get more sunlight than I thought. Barrow's sun sets on Nov 19th and rises again 65 days later. That's a lot shorter of a period than I thought also. Of course the days near sinuses and after sunrise are very short. But they do have long dusk periods while the sun is below the horizon.

http://www.alaska.or...rbanks/december
Monmouth county NJ

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 27 October 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

I could never live there. I wouldn't be able to stand the cold. I also wouldn't stand the extremes with the sunlight.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
Most new people to the state can't take the daylight issues. It's either not light enough or light too long. It doesn't get dark at all in Fairbanks in June and that's the same for Anchorage by June 7th. Fairbanks actually has daylight from mid May to late July. The sun sets but its always twilight or sunshine. I wonder if the people seeking out adventure realize how short the season is and how dangerous it can be with wildlife. On one episode of Living Alaska a buyer wonders if they need a gun to go out and get wood from a pile about 20 feet from the front door and the realtor says always carry a gun.
Monmouth county NJ

icehater

• Members
  • 23,215 posts
In the Denali area near Anchorage there's a whole (large) community of homes that have a common airstrip and then have heated hangars attached to their properties instead of garages. For many up there airplanes replace cars for the main way of transportation. To say life is different up there is a supreme understatement.
Monmouth county NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users