Political Correctness & Censorship

68 replies to this topic

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,714 posts
Presenting today’s double standard.

Roseanne Barr issues an ugly, racist tweet. Fired within 12 hours and rightly so

Samantha Bee (who actually has a show on TBS) calls Ivanka Trump a “feckless c**t” and tells her to put on something “tight and low cut” on while talking sense into daddy (implying incest). bee apologizes and TBS thinks it’s acceptable. Maybe since no one watches the show it doesn’t matter.

You can add Joy Behar to this double standard as well as many others where apologies are deemed acceptable

And people wonder why media trust is as low as Cingress’ approval rating. I am sick to death of the double standard.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,183 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

carribeanpirate, on 31 May 2018 - 04:39 PM, said:

Presenting today’s double standard.

Roseanne Barr issues an ugly, racist tweet. Fired within 12 hours and rightly so

Samantha Bee (who actually has a show on TBS) calls Ivanka Trump a “feckless c**t” and tells her to put on something “tight and low cut” on while talking sense into daddy (implying incest). bee apologizes and TBS thinks it’s acceptable. Maybe since no one watches the show it doesn’t matter.

You can add Joy Behar to this double standard as well as many others where apologies are deemed acceptable

And people wonder why media trust is as low as Cingress’ approval rating. I am sick to death of the double standard.

DONT FORGET AL AND JOY

https://www.politico...scrutiny-616111

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,480 posts
  • Queens, NY
I think that Samantha Bee goes in a somewhat different category than all the other people mentioned here. Bee blamed herself and her own actions while Joy Reid and Rosanne try to blame external factors such as hacking or Ambien (Ambien? Really?). And Joy Behar's apology was extremely delayed as I recall.

No doubt, what Samantha Bee said was wrong. But I think that given her self-accountability as far as I can tell, I think she should not be punished as harshly as the others. I think any punishment she gets should reflect the fact that while her actions were wrong, self-accountability was a step in the right direction.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

thundersleet, on 01 June 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

I think that Samantha Bee goes in a somewhat different category than all the other people mentioned here. Bee blamed herself and her own actions while Joy Reid and Rosanne try to blame external factors such as hacking or Ambien (Ambien? Really?). And Joy Behar's apology was extremely delayed as I recall.

No doubt, what Samantha Bee said was wrong. But I think that given her self-accountability as far as I can tell, I think she should not be punished as harshly as the others. I think any punishment she gets should reflect the fact that while her actions were wrong, self-accountability was a step in the right direction.

i completely disagree, because as you have said many times, words matter. And using another favorite, hate speech is hate speech. Not only should Bee be fired, the entire production team should be fired as well. That show is taped, meaning it passed multiple censors before airing. They ALL thought this was appropriate?

But I'll give you another scenario.....Flipping through the channel guide yesterday, I saw re-runs of The Cosby Show on some channel called Centric or something like that. So I guess I have to believe that racist comments are worse than rape, right? Just one more example of the double standard that exists.

BTW, Welcome back...I've missed the sparring!

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,183 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
Samantha bee was at minimum premeditated with accomplices

Blizzard78

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • NY

View Postthundersleet, on 01 June 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

so you're basically saying that if two or more people do the same thing and one apologizes and blamed themselves while other(s) blame other things that led to it the one blaming self should get less punishment? wish I knew this when I was a little kid i would have had much less punishmnets. And with you logic if someone did the same thing as Son Of Sam and he put blame on himself while Son Of Sam blamed his neighbor's dog saying it was a demon and told him to kill, the one who blamed himself should get less thenthe son of sam/

i'm a deplorable who lives on another planet

Blizzard78

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • NY
Or, If you and I both use a racial slur. I say I was drunk and the alcohol made me do it,and you say im sorry I should not have said it it. You should get less punishment then me?

i'm a deplorable who lives on another planet

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,588 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 01 June 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

Welcome back. Nice to see you post again. Then again I haven't been on in a couple weeks either.

So, I see a sudden interest in nuance here. Not only from you personally but much of the rest of the mainstream progressive press too. That's funny, because typically progressives are pretty authoritarian on these types of issues and blind themselves to any nuance. Instead, immediately wanting the head of the offending individual without due process or understanding of any larger issues at play. Hmmm.

We had watched Samantha Bee during her first season. We were a few episodes in when she referred to the republican male leadership at the time as "white men of mediocrity." A few more episodes in, the target was both Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz in the same sentence, calling both of them "mansplaining pricks". That was and will remain my last episode. She's just another privileged white feminist who thinks she speaks for everyone, and is free to hurl insults at virtually anyone she desires. It is, like many other things on TV these days unhelpful and uneducational.

To elevate the conversation (which won't happen, but I can hope). If Bee doesn't agree with the Trump immigration stance, why not use her platform to propose better immigration policy? For reasons for another debate, the 2016 election was lost. 2018 midterms could be next. People are understandably concerned about immigration policy. None of this moral posturing, insults, double standards, and profanity by the progressive base helps, of which Bee is a part of.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Blizzard78, on 02 June 2018 - 07:59 AM, said:

Or, If you and I both use a racial slur. I say I was drunk and the alcohol made me do it,and you say im sorry I should not have said it it. You should get less punishment then me?

That's a great response Bliz. The left is so quick to throw out the race argument and oh so quick to give Bee a pass. It's really pathetic how tranparent they are and how blind the public truly is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users