Policies the Next President Should Pursue

11 replies to this topic

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Queens, NY
As some of you can tell, I'm just plain old frustrated with this election, and how it's not about debates over policy but instead debates over how scandalous, racist, bigoted, or incompetent someone is. So, the election aside, what policies should the next President of the United States pursue? I discourage vague statements such as "increase LGBT rights" or "make America first" but instead more specific examples on what sort of law you'd push for so that you make your ideals possible.

Here are my own personal priorities. Feel free to disagree or poke holes or have proposals of your own:

1. A transportation infrastructure bill. This would do two things. First, provide funding for highway improvements (repairs, adding lanes, etc.). Second, provide funding for the building of a national rail system (which includes, but is not limited to, high-speed rail from Boston-DC, New York-Chicago, Florida, Texas, California, and maybe a couple other areas with large population centers). I would fund this through tax increases on the wealthy (if $250,000 is too low, maybe a compromise number like $400,000 or $500,000 or something). But when funded and built, there will be new jobs for everything from train operation to businesses near these stations (which we need), less traffic on the roads hopefully (which we all want haha), and a reduction in our nation's CO2 footprint.

2. A 21st century version of Glass-Steagall. The Glass-Steagall Act was enacted in the FDR years to help regulate Wall Street, and it was repealed while a certain candidate's husband was in office. You could argue how much the lack of a Glass-Steagall contributed to the 2008 crisis, but you can't argue with results IMO. Destabilized banks were seldom an issue under the law, and then 10 years after it is repealed we have the worst economic crisis since the Depression because of bank issues.

3. A law banning the discrimination of anyone based on the gender someone affiliates with. Ideally, I'd want an amendment but realistically a law is more likely to pass than an amendment. With LGBT+ people vulnerable to being fired in something like 29 states, and with attempts to undermine stuff like same-sex marriage, it would be nice to have a law which settles all this for once and for all.

4. Equal pay for equal work legislation. Why is this still even a debate in 2016?

5. Paid family leave. It is a disgrace that childbirth is such a major economic burden.

Things you think I might include, but didn't include: Medicare for all (would want transportation infrastructure to be paid off first before tackling another big-money project) and free college tuition (same reason I don't have Medicare for all on the list). Last thing I'd want is an exploding budget deficit, so I'd rather do one major money project at-a-time, thank you very much.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

nyrangers1022

• Members
  • 1,395 posts
Paid family leave is a no brainer. Today's day and age, most couples both work 40+ hours each just to pay bills and have a little leftover. Staying home to watch a kid is almost unaffordable, and same as day care 40+ hours a week. I got no idea how my fiance and I will afford a kid whenever we decide to have one, basically we need the child's grandparents to live nearby and watch it while we work lol

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postnyrangers1022, on 03 August 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

Paid family leave is a no brainer. Today's day and age, most couples both work 40+ hours each just to pay bills and have a little leftover. Staying home to watch a kid is almost unaffordable, and same as day care 40+ hours a week. I got no idea how my fiance and I will afford a kid whenever we decide to have one, basically we need the child's grandparents to live nearby and watch it while we work lol

Only problem is that there are a lot of business interests which would not like such a bill. And a lot of people on both sides would fall for those business interests. :no:

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,359 posts
Equal pay-i happen to think this is really not the case in most every day industries. I have a department of 70 people under my budget. For equal jobs, I have men who make more than women and women who make more than men, all for the same work. Mostly because of education or work experience, I think this is a case of lies,damn lies, and statistics. Many more women than men work in a part time environment, bringing down their average wage, creating a "pay gap". I have never seen the data, but that is my guess. And of course, no politician will show you data, because it panders to a voting block.

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,551 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 03 August 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

As some of you can tell, I'm just plain old frustrated with this election, and how it's not about debates over policy but instead debates over how scandalous, racist, bigoted, or incompetent someone is. So, the election aside, what policies should the next President of the United States pursue? I discourage vague statements such as "increase LGBT rights" or "make America first" but instead more specific examples on what sort of law you'd push for so that you make your ideals possible.

Here are my own personal priorities. Feel free to disagree or poke holes or have proposals of your own:

1. A transportation infrastructure bill. This would do two things. First, provide funding for highway improvements (repairs, adding lanes, etc.). Second, provide funding for the building of a national rail system (which includes, but is not limited to, high-speed rail from Boston-DC, New York-Chicago, Florida, Texas, California, and maybe a couple other areas with large population centers). I would fund this through tax increases on the wealthy (if $250,000 is too low, maybe a compromise number like $400,000 or $500,000 or something). But when funded and built, there will be new jobs for everything from train operation to businesses near these stations (which we need), less traffic on the roads hopefully (which we all want haha), and a reduction in our nation's CO2 footprint.

2. A 21st century version of Glass-Steagall. The Glass-Steagall Act was enacted in the FDR years to help regulate Wall Street, and it was repealed while a certain candidate's husband was in office. You could argue how much the lack of a Glass-Steagall contributed to the 2008 crisis, but you can't argue with results IMO. Destabilized banks were seldom an issue under the law, and then 10 years after it is repealed we have the worst economic crisis since the Depression because of bank issues.

3. A law banning the discrimination of anyone based on the gender someone affiliates with. Ideally, I'd want an amendment but realistically a law is more likely to pass than an amendment. With LGBT+ people vulnerable to being fired in something like 29 states, and with attempts to undermine stuff like same-sex marriage, it would be nice to have a law which settles all this for once and for all.

4. Equal pay for equal work legislation. Why is this still even a debate in 2016?

5. Paid family leave. It is a disgrace that childbirth is such a major economic burden.

Things you think I might include, but didn't include: Medicare for all (would want transportation infrastructure to be paid off first before tackling another big-money project) and free college tuition (same reason I don't have Medicare for all on the list). Last thing I'd want is an exploding budget deficit, so I'd rather do one major money project at-a-time, thank you very much.

IMO, priority #1 should be immigration and border security. Secure the borders and stop ILLEGAL immigration.

Second, must be the eradication of ISIS - by any means necessary - and we don't apologize for anything we do.

Next is something that falls completely along party lines...but something this country desperately needs, is to break the culture of dependency on the government. This is the one thing I have to admit, that while horrible and extremely destructive to the entire country, is brilliant from a strategic standpoint on the Dems part. They have created and keep growing a tremendous portion of the population completely dependent on govt assistance and are therefore loyal to the Dem party no matter what.

Better benefits and assistance for veterans - and current military service members, is a must.

Elimination of the H-1B visa...and stiff penalties to any employer who has abused this - meaning just about every corporation in America.

Institution of a flat tax.

From your list...

I agree with a return of Glass-Steagall in some form. As someone who works on Wall St., I'm all too familiar with how much of a negative its elimination it has been.

Transportation...I agree our entire infrastructure by and large needs to be upgraded. It's one thing that never should have gotten to the poor state it is in today. Constant proper maintenance and upgrading of the infrastructure all along is one of those things that seems like a no-brainer, but never happens so that money can be spent elsewhere (and usually not wisely).
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 04 August 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

IMO, priority #1 should be immigration and border security. Secure the borders and stop ILLEGAL immigration.

Second, must be the eradication of ISIS - by any means necessary - and we don't apologize for anything we do.

Next is something that falls completely along party lines...but something this country desperately needs, is to break the culture of dependency on the government. This is the one thing I have to admit, that while horrible and extremely destructive to the entire country, is brilliant from a strategic standpoint on the Dems part. They have created and keep growing a tremendous portion of the population completely dependent on govt assistance and are therefore loyal to the Dem party no matter what.

Better benefits and assistance for veterans - and current military service members, is a must.

Elimination of the H-1B visa...and stiff penalties to any employer who has abused this - meaning just about every corporation in America.

From your list...

I agree with a return of Glass-Steagall in some form. As someone who works on Wall St., I'm all too familiar with how much of a negative its elimination it has been.

Transportation...I agree our entire infrastructure by and large needs to be upgraded. It's one thing that never should have gotten to the poor state it is in today. Constant proper maintenance and upgrading of the infrastructure all along is one of those things that seems like a no-brainer, but never happens so that money can be spent elsewhere (and usually not wisely).

I could have posted the same thing under my name and clearly shows the differences between progressive and conservative ideologies. Social issues vs national security/economic issues.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 04 August 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

From your list...

With immigration, what would you propose? Personally--I'm skeptical of having a wall. To me that's just a recycling a failed policy (Berlin Wall).

As for ISIS, I agree that they're a threat. But when you say you're willing to do anything to get rid of them, does that include supporting strongmen like Assad and Saddam Hussein? For all of Hussein's brutality, for example, there was no Al Qaeda in Iraq when Saddam was in power, but Al Qaeda became big there and then morphed into present-day ISIS. I mean, I'm not sure if we necessarily NEED to have the equivalent of a Hussein in places like Iraq, but what we do need is to make sure that we don't end up with power vacuums in the region. To me, the fundamental failures of both W Bush and Obama, imo, is that we got rid of dictators like Hussein, Mubarak, Gaddafi, etc. and weakened others like Assad without having much of anything to fill that power vacuum QUICKLY. Therefore, we see Al Qaeda and ISIS fill that vacuum.

With benefits, I agree it's a disgrace. We talk a lot about supporting our military. So let's back those words up with actions.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

NYCSNOWMAN

• Members
  • 1,883 posts
Trump said other day. .Obama and Hillary were founder and Co founder of ISIS..now did these two individuals help create the vaccum ..that led to the rise of ISIS yes..did these two individuals help in the chaos in Libya..and Iraq yes ...but when asked about this yesterday instead of Trump saying yes that's what he meant .He once again..doubled ..down and said ..no ..He meant ..that Obama was the founder of the terror ..group ..folks that's just ridiculous..Obama did not start this terror group and ..such reckless statements by Trump are getting very annoying to be honest ...
Rob
God Bless America
"WATING FOR WINTERS FURY"
Fleetwood, NY

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,014 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postthundersleet, on 04 August 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

With immigration, what would you propose? Personally--I'm skeptical of having a wall. To me that's just a recycling a failed policy (Berlin Wall).

As for ISIS, I agree that they're a threat. But when you say you're willing to do anything to get rid of them, does that include supporting strongmen like Assad and Saddam Hussein? For all of Hussein's brutality, for example, there was no Al Qaeda in Iraq when Saddam was in power, but Al Qaeda became big there and then morphed into present-day ISIS. I mean, I'm not sure if we necessarily NEED to have the equivalent of a Hussein in places like Iraq, but what we do need is to make sure that we don't end up with power vacuums in the region. To me, the fundamental failures of both W Bush and Obama, imo, is that we got rid of dictators like Hussein, Mubarak, Gaddafi, etc. and weakened others like Assad without having much of anything to fill that power vacuum QUICKLY. Therefore, we see Al Qaeda and ISIS fill that vacuum.

With benefits, I agree it's a disgrace. We talk a lot about supporting our military. So let's back those words up with actions.
don't we have a wall already?
Hussein used brutality to control, that's why the region was "stable", that's all they understand out there. could care less if someone like that was in power again if that's what that region wants.

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postvascudave, on 12 August 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

don't we have a wall already?
Hussein used brutality to control, that's why the region was "stable", that's all they understand out there. could care less if someone like that was in power again if that's what that region wants.

But you would care if that person in power were encouraging terrorist attacks against the US.

Which brings me to the point that, if we were to meddle around in Middle East affairs (and I think we shouldn't as it has caused more harm than good), we should support people who keep the anti-West terrorists st bay, even if that means supporting people like Assad. It's not a popular policy, but ultimately if we want to get rid of ISIS we need to double down on supporting rulers who suppress ISIS and other terrorist organizations which threaten the West.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,359 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 12 August 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

But you would care if that person in power were encouraging terrorist attacks against the US.

Which brings me to the point that, if we were to meddle around in Middle East affairs (and I think we shouldn't as it has caused more harm than good), we should support people who keep the anti-West terrorists st bay, even if that means supporting people like Assad. It's not a popular policy, but ultimately if we want to get rid of ISIS we need to double down on supporting rulers who suppress ISIS and other terrorist organizations which threaten the West.

We should support anyone who keeps the region stable and can control terrorists. Its a win win, helping the region avoid conflict and helping the western world live in relative peace. If it means supporting someone who doesnt share "what we are" (cant resist the Obama/Clinton phrase), then so be it. Security should be the top priority and everything else will fall into line.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,014 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postthundersleet, on 12 August 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

agree we shouldn't be involved in others affairs
I personally don't have a problem with keeping terrorists at by means of brutality

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users