A Transition in Leadership for NYC Metro Weather

42 replies to this topic

wxtracker93

Administrator Emeritus

• Administrator
  • 1,974 posts
Hi, all. Happy Thanksgiving! I want to share news about new leadership for our site.

We are pleased to share that Robbbs has agreed to take on administrative duties and leadership of NYC Metro Weather. We are grateful for his enthusiasm and excited to see what plans he has in store for the site.

John (weathergeek87) and I started this site almost ten years ago (yes, it was January 2007) as an alternative to the board many of us once belonged to on 7online. Since then, we’ve been thrilled to see NYC Metro Weather to grow into a community for weather enthusiasts like you and us to come together, talk meteorology, learn from one another, and every once in a while, just shoot the breeze. It’s been great getting to know so many of you, and it's hard to believe it’s been almost a decade.

That said, life circumstances often change for many of us. Where I once spent hours a day every day tending to the site, I regret that I no longer have the ability to do that, and haven’t been able to do that for several years. It’s good for the site to be infused with new blood, and Robbbs has several ideas to bring some new energy to help make this winter an exciting one here.

I’ll stick around as “admin emeritus” to help out when needed, and I’ll also continue to stop by just to see what’s goin’ on! We are so fortunate, too, that John (weathergeek87) and Bryan (satellite_eyes), both of whom have been phenomenal moderators and strong advocates of the site, will be staying on to the best of their abilities as well. John and Bryan have been incredible partners in this journey and the site would not be even remotely as orderly as it is without them.

Bear with us over the coming weeks as we all make this adjustment and try to do so smoothly. We are hoping it is in the best interest of the site and all of us.

Again, wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving and an exciting start to winter! Thank you all for continuing to log on and share your thoughts. This place wouldn't be the same without you.

Brett
Brett

"Then come the wild weather,
come sleet or come snow,
we will stand by each other,
however it blow."
-Simon Dach

Like the NYC Metro Weather Facebook page

rgwp96

• Moderators
  • 8,502 posts
Hope there are no riots like the trump takeover produced
Butler, New Jersey

Visit My weatherstation

snowfall
18-19= 31.8 ytd
17-18= 72
16-17= 38.3
15-16= 31
14-15=54
13-14 = 63.1
12-13 =46.2
11-12 =19, 10-11= 66
9-10=65 , 8-9 = 40
7-8=32

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,902 posts
I will do my best to recruit more people. This is a great board.
Anthony

robbbs

• Administrator
  • 16,517 posts
Brett, weathergeek, and satellite are owed a debt of gratitude for their tireless work on this board for 10 years (wow, 10 years!). Not sure how many know the whole background and history of this board -- WABC channel 7 at one time had a very good weather chat board, of which many of us were members. Unfortunately, some trolls started disrupting that board and due to an absence of moderator oversight, it was often completely hijacked. There were also some "supposed" legal issues with member forecasts conflicting with the official WABC forecast, resulting in members being banned for simply posting their own forecast thoughts. So in the midst of all this chaos, Brett and weathergeek singlehandedly created the NYC Metro Weather board which became an oasis of sane and civil weather discussion and information, and which has now long outlived its forerunner.

As for turning the page, we want the board to continue in the same vein as before -- a civil place for the exchange of thoughts, opinions, and ideas on a hobby and interest we all share and love. We also want it to be largely uncensored. The only thing we ask is that no one be bullied or disrespected.

As for enhancements, it's my hope and intention to invite pro mets to participate as guests, especially during pending storm events. We haven't figured out the details as to whether that will be as an open question and answer period, live radio streaming, or some other format. However, we already have commitments from some well known mets and personalities who have agreed to participate.

We will also try to provide the fastest model run output possible when we're anxiously waiting for the latest run and individual update frames on a potential event, as well as associated graphics, so the board is seen as a reliable and quick source of information.

Lastly, the lifeblood of any board is new members. So we hope others will find this board and share in the good times and bad. Now let's hope for a safe but active winter so we have some things to track and discuss.

Thanks!
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

FreezingDrizzle

• Members
  • 9,002 posts
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
Thanks Brett, John, and Bryan for all you've done. Best wishes Charlie.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,274 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ
Brett - thank you for starting this adventure with me 10 years ago. It's been a great run and I am glad that we came up with this idea when the ABC7 forum began to go downhill.

Overall this has been an unforgettable experience and I hope to continue for another decade with Bryan and Charlie (Robbbs) here at NYC Metro Weather. We have some of the most loyal, fantastic posters and we believe that injecting some new blood into this forum would be good for everyone!

Thank you so much to Brett for all he's done (and believe me, he was the backbone of the entire operation) and I wish him continued success in all he does in life!

John
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

lab94

• Moderators
  • 12,068 posts
  • Oak_Ridge
  • NJ
Brett and John. Thank you for everything you have done for this board over the years. And to you too Bryan for all you have done. And to Charlie, no pressure. Don't screw it up. Lol
http://www.cocorahs.org/ViewData/

My COCORAHS ID - NJ-MS-18

http://nycmetroweath...r/lab94/br1.jpg

Elevation 794
18-19 to date 20.1"
17-18 snowfall- 79.3"
15-16 snowfall - 34.2".........16-17 snowfall- 48.7"
13-14 snowfall - 65.6".........14-15 snowfall - 63.4"
11-12 snowfall - 22.8".........12-13 snowfall - 52.1
09-10 Snowfall- 75.30" .....10-11 snowfall - 62.00"
07-08 snowfall- 39.40".. . ...08-09 snowfall- 42.70"

Snowfall Average 53.22"

NYCSNOWMAN

• Members
  • 2,223 posts
I remember the old board ...wow ..hard to believe ..10 years ..anyhow ..I look forward to many more years of excellent weather tracking ..
Rob
God Bless America
"WATING FOR WINTERS FURY"
Fleetwood, NY

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,274 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postrobbbs, on 25 November 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

Brett, weathergeek, and satellite are owed a debt of gratitude for their tireless work on this board for 10 years (wow, 10 years!). Not sure how many know the whole background and history of this board. WABC channel 7 at one time had a very good weather chat board, of which many of us were members. Unfortunately, some trolls started disrupting that board and due to an absence of moderator oversight, completely hijacked it all too often. There were also some "supposed" legal issues with member forecasts conflicting with the official WABC forecasts, which resulted in members being banned simply for posting their own forecast thoughts. So in the midst of all this chaos, Brett and weathergeek singlehandedly created the NYC Metro Weather board which became an oasis of sane and civil weather discussion and information, and which has now long outlived its forerunner.

As for turning the page, we want the board to continue in the same vein as before -- a civil place for the exchange of thoughts, opinions, and ideas on a hobby and interest we all share and love. We also want it to be a largely uncensored board. The only thing we ask is that no one be bullied or disrespected.

As for enhancements, it's my hope and intention to invite pro mets to participate as guests, especially during pending storm events. We haven't figured out the details as to whether that will be as an open question and answer period, live radio streaming, or some other format. However, we already have commitments from some well known mets and personalities who have agreed to participate.

We also intend to try to provide the fastest run output possible when we're waiting for the latest model runs and each hour update frame to show whether a storm will be a boom or bust, as well as graphics, so the board is seen as a reliable and quick source of information during those times.

Lastly, the lifeblood of any board is new members. So we hope others will find this board and share in the good times and bad. Now let's hope for a safe but active winter so we have some things to track and discuss.

Thanks!

Look very forward to working with you Charlie.
Welcome aboard!
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

snowprincess0204

• Members
  • 277 posts
Can't believe it's been almost 10 years! I truly appreciate all the posts and insight and the things I've learned throughout the years. Thanks to all you guys! I look forward to the coming season and learning even more!

winterbird04

• Members
  • 1,929 posts
I can't believe it has been that long as well. I am not on here nearly as much as others but everyone does a great job and I'm looking forward to the he future. Thanks to you all for all the great work you do as far as information and keeping us safe.!!!
You guys are the best��
Go EAGLES, PHILLIES AND FLYERS

(Hackettstown NJ Warren co.)

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,807 posts
Thanks to everyone for making this a great experience. Let me know how I can help going forward. I'm definitely willing to just keep doing what I've been doing.

John sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to your text. I'm sure you know i'm onboard with whatever you guys think is best.

Even though I don't live up there anymore I just enjoy tracking the weather no matter what area or season.

Thanks again for everything Brett!
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,412 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
10 years? wow! I've greyed some in that time for sure.
way to go Charlie for taking the reigns. john and brett started a fantastic site. there are no popups and its moderated wonderfully with the help of sat. no one is meeting any members on the side of rt 78 for beat downs. they've also managed to keep lab and rg relatively behaved.
its still my go to for weather expertise. not sure of $$ aspect but maybe an app? perhaps if possible a dedicated radar?
some thoughts, looking forward to what lies ahead.
again thanks for all involved (hopefully I mentioned all).
cheers

TatamyPA

• Members
  • 6,385 posts
  • Bethlehem
  • PA
Charlie: No question here that you are best qualified person to take over this board. I wish you much success and long forward to the improvements that you will bring to it!
Sat and the other guys that started this board: Thanks for starting and maintaining a great board. It so nice to be a part of board with such nice people on it.
Bethlehem, PA is 80 miles west of NYC
Skywarn Spotter - Mt. Holly

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY
Wow...miss a few days, miss a lot! I haven't been on the board as often lately due to life, and this is the first time in a few days that I've spent much time on here. As such I was wondering whether it was some really early April Fools' joke when I saw Charlie as an admin!!! :P

In all seriousness:

First of all, thanks to Brett for his service to this board. I joined here because I wanted a good place for spirited, yet civil, discussion on my weather forecasting hobby several years ago. It's safe to say that I felt (and still feel) like I made the right choice by joining this forum, and this mere fact is a testament to all the good, hard work of Brett as admin, and John and Bryan as mods.

Second of all, congrats to Charlie on becoming an admin. I really, truly feel that you are the right person for the job. You seem to have a great vision for the board, and with some of your past endeavors (such as your radio show a few years back) and present connections (such as Nick Stefano and I guess some mets too), I am confident that you have the connections to make this vision a reality.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,902 posts
I remember the ABC7 board. I wasn't on there for too long though.I met John on there and we eventually went bowling together and told me about this board. I joined this board the 1st day it was created.

This is a great board with great people . You deserve the position. You are a great contributor to the board. Good luck.

Hey Robbs, are you going to have radio shows this winter for winter storms? Also, how about Skype chats during winter storms? I do that with my friends all the time. It's pretty good. Joe Cioffi usually comes on and talks with us.
Anthony

robbbs

• Administrator
  • 16,517 posts
Thank you for the warm comments. I'm going to take much more of a behind the scenes approach going forward (for example, trying to set up venues with pro mets during pending events). When I do post, it'll be more along the lines of providing information, model runs and graphics, but not voicing opinions, leaving that for everyone else (I'll miss those disagreements on politics; lol).

Now we just need a safe but active winter!
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postrobbbs, on 28 November 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

Thank you for the warm comments. I'm going to take much more of a behind the scenes approach going forward (for example, trying to set up venues with pro mets during pending events). When I do post, it'll be more along the lines of providing information, model runs and graphics, but not voicing opinions, leaving that for everyone else (I'll miss those disagreements on politics; lol).

Now we just need a safe but active winter!

:lmao:

What...you're not going to use your newfound power to give my warn status a bump for voting for Clinton? Haha. Jk.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

robbbs

• Administrator
  • 16,517 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 28 November 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

:lmao:

What...you're not going to use your newfound power to give my warn status a bump for voting for Clinton? Haha. Jk.

Lol. Good one. You have enough political fight in you for the both of us and more. :)
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

snowshoe

• Members
  • 3,880 posts
  • Wantage
  • NJ
Robbbs congrats. I look forward to having you as the new Admin. Hard to believe its been ten years. I started with the the ABC7 board as well and have been following since (even if I dont understand the models etc..... lol) If you need anything call. My number is still the same.
Total snow for 2018-2019 season 36.7 inches
Total snow for 2017-2018 season 64.2 inches
Total snow for 2016-2017 season 62.1 inches
Total snow for 2015-2016 season 12 inches (Least amount ever recorded for my area)
Total snow for 2014-2015 season: 56.3 inches
Total snow for 2013-2014 season: 60.1 inches
Total snow for 2012-2013 season: 50.6 inches
Total snow for 2011-2012 season: 24 inches
Total snow for 2010-2011 season: 50.8 inches
Total snow for 2009-2010 season: 69.5 inches
Total snow for 2008-2009 season: 42.6 inches
Total snow for 2007-2008 season: 52.3 inches
Average 60 Inches

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users