Jump to content

American Media


91 replies to this topic

#41
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY
So Trump supporter Tom Ricketts shut down Gothamist and DNAinfo last week. Where's the outrage from conservatives? I hear complaining about how liberal the media is (and granted, I think the money trail backs up claims about most major media having a liberal bias), but with that being the case conservatives should be absolutely furious that Ricketts shut down Gothamist and DNAinfo.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#42
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • Gender:Male

View Postthundersleet, on 07 November 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

So Trump supporter Tom Ricketts shut down Gothamist and DNAinfo last week. Where's the outrage from conservatives? I hear complaining about how liberal the media is (and granted, I think the money trail backs up claims about most major media having a liberal bias), but with that being the case conservatives should be absolutely furious that Ricketts shut down Gothamist and DNAinfo.


Classic liberal response, just enough facts to create the illusion there is something evil. The fact is after the editorial staff voted to unionze, the OWNER decided to shut down the operation. Thatís far from a group like Antifa silencing conservative speakers.

I realize that capitalism is a tough concept when you beleive everyone should be equal and get a trophy, but decisions like unionizing sometimes have unintended consequences.

#43
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,190 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
joe rickets and hes the owner

so buy it and run it!!

#44
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,190 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
ALL OVER THE NEWS....:/

http://www.tmz.com/2...uspects-firing/

#45
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 08 November 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

Classic liberal response, just enough facts to create the illusion there is something evil. The fact is after the editorial staff voted to unionze, the OWNER decided to shut down the operation. That's far from a group like Antifa silencing conservative speakers.

I realize that capitalism is a tough concept when you beleive everyone should be equal and get a trophy, but decisions like unionizing sometimes have unintended consequences.

Which is technically not illegal, but goes into the Hillary Clinton playbook of finding loopholes around legalities. It is illegal to threaten to fire someone who wants to join a union (or fire someone for joining a union), but shutting down an organization is different from firing someone.

So a Trump supporter shuts down two media organizations by going into the Clinton playbook of skating around legalities, and making the liberal media even more liberal.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#46
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,190 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
wonder how many more are written to incite more HATE?
wonder if the political adds in edison and hoboken were similar to this?

http://www.cnn.com/2...trnd/index.html

#47
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • Gender:Male

View Postthundersleet, on 08 November 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

Which is technically not illegal, but goes into the Hillary Clinton playbook of finding loopholes around legalities. It is illegal to threaten to fire someone who wants to join a union (or fire someone for joining a union), but shutting down an organization is different from firing someone.

So a Trump supporter shuts down two media organizations by going into the Clinton playbook of skating around legalities, and making the liberal media even more liberal.

Take politics out of it, its a business decision. Ricketts is in business to make money. When unions come in, they demand higher wages, more benefits, etc. That changes the financial picture of a company. No different than the business I work for. If costs increase to the point where we no longer make money, it either gets sold, declares bankruptcy to try and survive or closes. Ricketts decided to close. I'm sure there are plenty of stories like this in the internet world, conservative and liberal websites alike. Its not silencing a voice, its business.

Now, if you told me Ricketts bought the company and shortly thereafter decided to close it, yes, that would bother me. In my opinion, it was purely a business decision, nothing more. But think about it.....He started this website 7-8 years ago and you think he is closing it now to silence people? I get the non-profit world does not work like this, but corporate worlds do. You're looking for a conspiracy that doesnt exist. Its simple really....the workers decided to take an action that changed the profitability model for the company.The company responded by doing its financial analysis and made a decision that the business was no longer worth the expense.

#48
gpsnavigator

  • Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morris County, NJ

View Postvascudave, on 09 November 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

wonder how many more are written to incite more HATE?
wonder if the political adds in edison and hoboken were similar to this?

http://www.cnn.com/2...trnd/index.html
It is a fair, but I'm sure off limits question in the minds of many. And it's easy to think that in areas like Edison and Hoboken, racist propaganda would generate more sympathy votes for minority candidates than it would votes against.
Either way the people responsible for putting out those fliers are of the lowest form.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

#49
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,190 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postgpsnavigator, on 09 November 2017 - 09:04 AM, said:


It is a fair, but I'm sure off limits question in the minds of many. And it's easy to think that in areas like Edison and Hoboken, racist propaganda would generate more sympathy votes for minority candidates than it would votes against.
Either way the people responsible for putting out those fliers are of the lowest form.
more
http://www.kansascit...e183086416.html

#50
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,480 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 09 November 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

Take politics out of it, its a business decision. Ricketts is in business to make money. When unions come in, they demand higher wages, more benefits, etc. That changes the financial picture of a company. No different than the business I work for. If costs increase to the point where we no longer make money, it either gets sold, declares bankruptcy to try and survive or closes. Ricketts decided to close. I'm sure there are plenty of stories like this in the internet world, conservative and liberal websites alike. Its not silencing a voice, its business.

Now, if you told me Ricketts bought the company and shortly thereafter decided to close it, yes, that would bother me. In my opinion, it was purely a business decision, nothing more. But think about it.....He started this website 7-8 years ago and you think he is closing it now to silence people? I get the non-profit world does not work like this, but corporate worlds do. You're looking for a conspiracy that doesnt exist. Its simple really....the workers decided to take an action that changed the profitability model for the company.The company responded by doing its financial analysis and made a decision that the business was no longer worth the expense.

He closed those two outlets a week after the writers decided to unionize. He didn't even have Gothamist/DNAinfo open long enough to see what sort of money he'd make (or not make) with people unionized.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#51
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • Gender:Male
So CNN is having Lavar Ball on tonight to discuss his "fued" with Trump. CNN will give airtime to anyone who disagrees loudly with Trump. Having a loudmouth like Ball on shows how far CNN has fallen as a news organization.

#52
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,190 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 20 November 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

So CNN is having Lavar Ball on tonight to discuss his "fued" with Trump. CNN will give airtime to anyone who disagrees loudly with Trump. Having a loudmouth like Ball on shows how far CNN has fallen as a news organization.
they truly are a joke
they should let ball know that he wouldn't see his son for 10 years for the "its just sunglasses" theft.

even if I had much distain for trump I wouldn't be able to tolerate cnn for that long
I don't know how tapper, Anderson, lemon et al do it??


#53
gpsnavigator

  • Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morris County, NJ

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 20 November 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

So CNN is having Lavar Ball on tonight to discuss his "fued" with Trump. CNN will give airtime to anyone who disagrees loudly with Trump. Having a loudmouth like Ball on shows how far CNN has fallen as a news organization.
Trump is right about one thing - CNN has become fake news and is very disappointing to listen to lately. Jake Tapper might be the worst one.
The irony being, beyond screaming over Russia, recent sex allegations, and the usual problems over diversity, no one is talking about the many other issues of interest to progressives (and maybe conservatives too). Saving healthcare, the recent keystone pipeline spill, drug addiction, raising wages, helping the environment, rebuilding infrastructure, etc. Other things that matter a whole lot too.

Their own outrage driven propaganda is drowning out most of their own causes. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be outraged over sexual harrassment and assault, because it is an outrage, but do think that conversation should be being held a little differently than currently is.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

#54
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • Gender:Male

View Postgpsnavigator, on 20 November 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Trump is right about one thing - CNN has become fake news and is very disappointing to listen to lately. Jake Tapper might be the worst one.
The irony being, beyond screaming over Russia, recent sex allegations, and the usual problems over diversity, no one is talking about the many other issues of interest to progressives (and maybe conservatives too). Saving healthcare, the recent keystone pipeline spill, drug addiction, raising wages, helping the environment, rebuilding infrastructure, etc. Other things that matter a whole lot too.

Their own outrage driven propaganda is drowning out most of their own causes. I'm not suggesting we shouldn't be outraged over sexual harrassment and assault, because it is an outrage, but do think that conversation should be being held a little differently than currently is.

You make a good point...The Keystone spill was largely ignored, which should have been a huge story.

#55
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • Gender:Male
Good lord, it was a rough week for the media. They are not doing themselves any favors in debunking the "fake news" narrative. First, Brian Ross with a slanted story that he had to retract, a CNN report that had to be retracted and now a Washington Post story that had to be retracted.

Folks, this resistance movement and media involvement should scare the living s**t out of everyone of us. If the media is in bed with one party in a two party system, it is no different than state run media in a country like N. Korea. We all laugh at those reports where they show what a great country it is, but how is that any different than our media reporting the way they do today, majority positive coverage for Democrats, majority negative coverage for Republicans.

Laugh all you want at N. Korea.....our mainstream media is not much different.

#56
Mike_The_Golfer

  • Members
  • 2,653 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ozone Park, NY
As if it was even possible, we now have a new low for the media...they're now criticizing they way Trump takes a sip of water during speeches. This is what they are resorting to.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

#57
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,730 posts
  • Gender:Male
Here's a classic! The media has jumped on the Shelia Jackson story, where the Congress person had a person kicked off the plane so she could get the first class seat. After the passenger with the ticketed seat claimed Jackson got preferential treatment, the lovely Ms Jackson claimed the woman was a racist because there was no other reason for her to bring it up. Seems like this woman has quite the history of claiming racism as her go-to excuse. But remember folks, only white people can be racists....

Oh, and the woman who purchased the first class seat and was bumped, the woman accused of being a racist? She is actually a teacher and an award winning photo journalist, who has documented human rights abuses in third world countries.

https://www.washingt...ights-activist/

http://dailycaller.c...entitled-queen/

#58
gpsnavigator

  • Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morris County, NJ
Damn it guys, quit being so angry!
This is a beauty from the latest issue of Time Magazine, Page 27.
Remember, it's only ever men that are the problem.
Posted Image
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

#59
satellite_eyes

  • Moderators
  • 7,615 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Mill, SC (Home) & Charlotte, NC (Work)
Damn that's sad. Women don't really want that. I'll teach my boys to be tough. Not mean but tough. They won't have a chance in this world if I coddle then like that.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

#60
gpsnavigator

  • Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morris County, NJ

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 30 December 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

Damn that's sad. Women don't really want that. I'll teach my boys to be tough. Not mean but tough. They won't have a chance in this world if I coddle then like that.
Very true Sat. I I would concede that the author may be trying to make a point on some level, but her own prejudices and strange ideals are clearly getting the best of her. Also, imagine if you or I, or someone at say Fox News published a similarly titled article, "How to raise a sweet daughter in an era of melodramatic women". We'd be banished forever and our next job might involve asking "would you like paper or plastic?"

I've reposted the picture since photobucket no longer hosts images free of charge.
Posted Image
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users