President Trump

461 replies to this topic

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Queens, NY
The Electoral College is meeting today. The crazy media coverage over this is more noise than anything IMO. There may be a couple to a few electors who defect, but otherwise I don't think there will be much.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,003 posts
Is this the type of "fake news" that Dems are screaming about. And to think that a liberal leaning, Democrat supporting organization such as Yahoo would participate in the fake news world. I wonder when Hill and Barry will comment on this. Maybe the Russian posted it. Or Jim Comey. Or an uneducated white male voter. Or someone with a beef against HIllary. Or a-person-responsible-for-Hillary-losing-to-be-accused-later

https://www.yahoo.co...-165635669.html

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 19 December 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

Is this the type of "fake news" that Dems are screaming about. And to think that a liberal leaning, Democrat supporting organization such as Yahoo would participate in the fake news world. I wonder when Hill and Barry will comment on this. Maybe the Russian posted it. Or Jim Comey. Or an uneducated white male voter. Or someone with a beef against HIllary. Or a-person-responsible-for-Hillary-losing-to-be-accused-later

https://www.yahoo.co...-165635669.html

Yeah idk where Larry Lessig got that claim from. But on the other hand, The Guardian, which also tends to have its leftist leanings for the record, has actually spoken to the people who have publicly announced their defecting. Most of the defectors are defecting from Clinton in order to try and coalesce around a "reasonable Republican" (not my words, but the words of some of these faithless electors):

https://www.theguard...rs-donald-trump

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

metfan4life

• Members
  • 26,829 posts
It's official

He's the president
Anthony

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ
President Donald J Trump
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
Electoral vote count:

Trump 304
Clinton 224
Colin Powell 3 (all Clinton defectors)
John Kasich 1
Ron Paul 1
Faith Spotted Eagle 1 (also a Clinton defector)

There are still four outstanding electors on the Clinton side, not sure why. This ties for the most faithless electors in history with the election of 1808.
All four Clinton defectors are from Washington State and the two Trump defectors are both from Texas.

As I read on, apparently 2 more attempted to vote for Bernie Sanders but their votes are nullified under their states faithless elector laws and those votes ultimately counted as Clinton votes. One more in Colorado (state won by Clinton) attempted to vote for Kasich, but also had his vote nullified and was replaced by an elector who voted for Clinton.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,003 posts
I wonder what the uneducated black voter thinks of this?

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,003 posts
Just a random thought...92%of black people voted for Obama and that was celebrated. If 92%of white people voted for Romney or McCain, would that be celebrated or called racism? Just wondering...

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 19 December 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

Just a random thought...92%of black people voted for Obama and that was celebrated. If 92%of white people voted for Romney or McCain, would that be celebrated or called racism? Just wondering...

It's already been called racism. Van Jones, one of the biggest schmucks on the Clinton News Network, called this election a "white wash".
Imagine if 2008 was called a "black wash" - man the claims of racism would be flying.

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 19 December 2016 - 08:06 PM, said:

For a multitude of reasons, I've reached the conclusion that I'm pretty much to the point where I'm done advocating for gays, transgender, women, minorities, insert other subgroups here, and instead simply want to advocate for humanity. This means I'm done with identity politics, done with elitism, done with corruption and big government, done with the progressive movement in it's current incarnation. In the infantile mind of some of a certain political leanings, that makes me a racist among other things.

I wish the hell Democrats could do one thing for humanity -- start referring to the above groups simply as humans and Americans. And when members of those same groups (or anybody) do or advocate something harmful, call it what it is, un-American, instead of being the p.c. police (e.g. - failing to call out Islamic terrorism or flag burning). I think that would go a long way to not only helping the Democratic party but the country and humanity as a whole.
-GPSNav
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 19 December 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

I wonder what the uneducated black voter thinks of this?

???

Don't know what you're meaning to imply there.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postgpsnavigator, on 19 December 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

Electoral vote count:

Trump 304
Clinton 224
Colin Powell 3 (all Clinton defectors)
John Kasich 1
Ron Paul 1
Faith Spotted Eagle 1 (also a Clinton defector)

There are still four outstanding electors on the Clinton side, not sure why. This ties for the most faithless electors in history with the election of 1808.
All four Clinton defectors are from Washington State and the two Trump defectors are both from Texas.

As I read on, apparently 2 more attempted to vote for Bernie Sanders but their votes are nullified under their states faithless elector laws and those votes ultimately counted as Clinton votes. One more in Colorado (state won by Clinton) attempted to vote for Kasich, but also had his vote nullified and was replaced by an elector who voted for Clinton.

Yep...the article I posted earlier said that most of the faithless electors were Democrats.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,227 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ
So according to Bill Clinton, Trump won because of angry white men.

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

View Postweathergeek87, on 19 December 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

So according to Bill Clinton, Trump won because of angry white men.

Let's say for a moment Bill Clinton is right. At this point, I think it's reasonable to conclude our anger is justified since we've been taking the bullets for years now from the progressive left over the failings of our culture. And even though I didn't vote for Trump, I will include myself in this group for the purposes of this post, although I'm not an angry white man, but definatley a cynical white man.

View Postthundersleet, on 19 December 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

Yep...the article I posted earlier said that most of the faithless electors were Democrats.
Now up to 7 faithless electors. The remaining 4 for Clinton were coming from Hawaii and just came in. One of those voted for Bernie Sanders which counts since Hawaii must not have legally bound electors.

The irony. All this talk and hope about electors defecting from Trump and most of them defected from Clinton! Another nail in the coffin for the Democrats and a message I hope they start listening to.

Seven faithless electors has never happened in the history of America as far as I know.
-GPSNav

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postgpsnavigator, on 19 December 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

For a multitude of reasons, I've reached the conclusion that I'm pretty much to the point where I'm done advocating for gays, transgender, women, minorities, insert other subgroups here, and instead simply want to advocate for humanity. This means I'm done with identity politics, done with elitism, done with corruption and big government, done with the progressive movement in it's current incarnation. In the infantile mind of some of a certain political leanings, that makes me a racist among other things.

I wish the hell Democrats could do one thing for humanity -- start referring to the above groups simply as humans and Americans. And when members of those same groups (or anybody) do or advocate something harmful, call it what it is, un-American, instead of being the p.c. police (e.g. - failing to call out Islamic terrorism or flag burning). I think that would go a long way to not only helping the Democratic party but the country and humanity as a whole.

And what does this look like from a policy perspective, to you? I'm just curious, because from a policy perspective what you're saying strikes me as more semantics than anything else. After all, there are certain things which might be perceived as a "LGBT issue" (making job discrimination against LGBT+ people illegal everywhere) or a "woman's issue" (such as paid family leave) but is also something which is also I think good from a human perspective and would advocate for humanity.

From a political standpoint, I see where you're coming from. I would argue though that identity politics is an issue with both parties--think about all the comments Trump has made about different demographics "loving him" or about different demographics he loves. You can probably find dozens of clips of him saying "I love African Americans" or "Latinos love me." And then there's the media, which analyzes voting in these demographics. My point is not to say that the Democrats are faultless with the identity politics issue, but to say that if the issue is identity politics, it's an issue which runs way beyond the Democrats IMO.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 19 December 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

And what does this look like from a policy perspective, to you? I'm just curious, because from a policy perspective what you're saying strikes me as more semantics than anything else. After all, there are certain things which might be perceived as a "LGBT issue" (making job discrimination against LGBT+ people illegal everywhere) or a "woman's issue" (such as paid family leave) but is also something which is also I think good from a human perspective and would advocate for humanity.

It's a great question, and I agree transcends parties to some degree (but Democrats are generally worse). The answer is not simple, so I won't pretend it is. I'll get back to you on this one. It's also an area I have contemplated sending a letter or two, so I'm going to have to swallow my pride and be polite too.
-GPSNav

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 19 December 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

???

Not implying anything. Just wonder how that voting bloc feels about Trump winning. Is that question offensive?

vascudave

• Members
  • 6,807 posts
  • Raritan
  • NJ

View Postthundersleet, on 19 December 2016 - 09:59 PM, said:

???

well, only dumb white men voted for trump(according to anyone that didn't vote trump and/or MSM)

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,101 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 20 December 2016 - 05:26 AM, said:

Not implying anything. Just wonder how that voting bloc feels about Trump winning. Is that question offensive?

I'm just wondering about the "uneducated black voter" part.

Are you asking about the feelings of African Americans who don't have a college degree? Or are you asking about the feelings of African Americans in general (and using "uneducated black voter" to describe the African American voting bloc)?

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,003 posts

View Postthundersleet, on 20 December 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

I'm just wondering about the "uneducated black voter" part.

Are you asking about the feelings of African Americans who don't have a college degree? Or are you asking about the feelings of African Americans in general (and using "uneducated black voter" to describe the African American voting bloc)?

I guess I would answer that by asking who the progressives mean when talking about the uneducated white voter. Are they referencing white people in general or a voting bloc?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users