NY & NJ State Politics

2 replies to this topic

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
NJ State Government Shutdown as of midnight June 30th.

http://www.nj.com/po...cart_most-read_

All state parks and other non-essentials are closed. Fourth of July weekend. People set up to camp, hike, swim, etc, will now be turned away. I can't imagine being the one that has to toss hundreds of campers and beach goers out of the parks, or the one that has to pack up camp after spending the previous evening setting up.

My question would be - can I now stop paying sales tax for the duration of this? I wonder if there is some legal avenue a person or advocacy group could persue to request sales tax refunds during this time. Not that anyone will, but it's a worthwhile question.

Governor Christie has a 15% approval rating according to the last Quinnipac. Some of the State Legislature Democrats aren't much better.
We live in one of the most expensive and corrupt states in the union. Our state governing body is a joke.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,359 posts
Isnt this just a reflection of all politicians these days? Most are self serving a****les who are in it for themselves or their cronies. Lets face it, the average person cannot run for any office without connections into either party and that is the problem. Until that changes, status quo remains on national, state and local levels.

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,415 posts

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 05 July 2017 - 06:34 AM, said:

Isnt this just a reflection of all politicians these days? Most are self serving a****les who are in it for themselves or their cronies. Lets face it, the average person cannot run for any office without connections into either party and that is the problem. Until that changes, status quo remains on national, state and local levels.
I believe corruption still runs rampant here at the county level in NJ, especially the Northeastern corner (Essex, Union, Hudson, Bergen, Morris, Passaic).
Not long ago these areas were a mafia stronghold. They had prosecutors, judges, cops, county executives, freeholders, state legislatures all on their payrolls.
I believe members and relatives of old mob bosses still exist and are still involved in NJ politics in one form or another. While they may not have quite the influence they used to, nor the trail of bodies, the mob style of doing business is still very much in play here and potentially runs it's way right up to the governor's office.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users