Jump to content

No More Blizzard Watches


15 replies to this topic

#1
weathergeek87

  • Moderators
  • 9,414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamburg, NJ
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ
Will be underneath the already known "Winter Storm Watch", according to NOAA.

Posted Image
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

#2
BobInJersey

  • Members
  • 345 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keyport, NJ
They might have got caught too many times being wrong about it last year..lol The best thing to come out of it is that the local TV mets wont use it every other minute during their airtime to hype up their apocalyptic forecasts.....
Keyport, NJ

#3
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View PostBobInJersey, on 29 September 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

They might have got caught too many times being wrong about it last year..lol The best thing to come out of it is that the local TV mets wont use it every other minute during their airtime to hype up their apocalyptic forecasts.....

But at the same time, without that "B" word, I worry that many people will not take coming storms seriously enough.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#4
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 9,818 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY

View PostBobInJersey, on 29 September 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

They might have got caught too many times being wrong about it last year..lol The best thing to come out of it is that the local TV mets wont use it every other minute during their airtime to hype up their apocalyptic forecasts.....

That's the problem, so much today gets hyped up and as a result, over time, it just becomes watered down. I think one of the biggest reasons the storms today seem to be worse than ever to some people, is because people simply are affected by them more. People live in places they never lived before and in the past the same storms didn't harm so many people because nobody was living there to harm. Look at the Houston area with Harvey, people live in the flood plane, the population of the area has exploded over the past 50 years. Do you know that 42 inches of rain fell in 24 hours in a town near Houston from Tropical storm Claudette in 1979. It was very much like Harvey but with a lot less people to get affected.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

#5
BobInJersey

  • Members
  • 345 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keyport, NJ
agreed WB...also has anyone else noticed that since superstorm Sandy, weather forecasts have gotten so much more over the top/more serious?. During the past couple of summers I would say 90% of thunderstorm predictions came with a caution "could be severe". and most never came to fruition. Another example currently is on channel 7 ABC... when theres a good chance of rain for most of the day they now call it a "WEATHER ALERT DAY"....on the 7 day forecast that particular day there will be a bright red background and a lighting bolt EVERT TIME...no more little clouds and raindrops...its now a WEATHER ALERT DAY.... no need for that!....ok rant is done.....until the next one... :angry: Where is Carribbean Pirate when I need him? :pirate: LOL
Keyport, NJ

#6
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,359 posts
  • Gender:Male

View Postthundersleet, on 29 September 2017 - 07:15 PM, said:

But at the same time, without that "B" word, I worry that many people will not take coming storms seriously enough.

Newscasts and weathermen hype a one inch snowfall as epic, so if there is the slightest possibility of blizzard conditions, I am sure it will be hyped to the max.

#7
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,359 posts
  • Gender:Male

View PostBobInJersey, on 30 September 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

agreed WB...also has anyone else noticed that since superstorm Sandy, weather forecasts have gotten so much more over the top/more serious?. During the past couple of summers I would say 90% of thunderstorm predictions came with a caution "could be severe". and most never came to fruition. Another example currently is on channel 7 ABC... when theres a good chance of rain for most of the day they now call it a "WEATHER ALERT DAY"....on the 7 day forecast that particular day there will be a bright red background and a lighting bolt EVERT TIME...no more little clouds and raindrops...its now a WEATHER ALERT DAY.... no need for that!....ok rant is done.....until the one... :angry: Where is Carribbean Pirate when I need him? :pirate: LOL

Finally, a brother in arms who observes the same thing! I made my comment on blizzard warnings before reading the string, but you are spot on. I just roll my eyes anymore when I hear people say things like "I heard on the news we are expecting a winter storm" when the prediction was for 1-3" of snow. Its mindboggling how little people actually listen anymore. I guess its the world of snap judgments based on soundbites. And lets be honest, it helps news ratings and fits right in with the news model to make controversy out of anything.

#8
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View PostBobInJersey, on 30 September 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

agreed WB...also has anyone else noticed that since superstorm Sandy, weather forecasts have gotten so much more over the top/more serious?. During the past couple of summers I would say 90% of thunderstorm predictions came with a caution "could be severe". and most never came to fruition. Another example currently is on channel 7 ABC... when theres a good chance of rain for most of the day they now call it a "WEATHER ALERT DAY"....on the 7 day forecast that particular day there will be a bright red background and a lighting bolt EVERT TIME...no more little clouds and raindrops...its now a WEATHER ALERT DAY.... no need for that!....ok rant is done.....until the one... :angry: Where is Carribbean Pirate when I need him? :pirate: LOL

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 01 October 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Newscasts and weathermen hype a one inch snowfall as epic, so if there is the slightest possibility of blizzard conditions, I am sure it will be hyped to the max.

I definitely think there is a lot that's valid about what both of you say. I am concerned though that when there is a storm with true blizzard potential on the way, people won't take it so seriously when they see a "Winter Storm Watch" instead of a "Blizzard Watch."
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#9
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,359 posts
  • Gender:Male

View Postthundersleet, on 01 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

I definitely think there is a lot that's valid about what both of you say. I am concerned though that when there is a storm with true blizzard potential on the way, people won't take it so seriously when they see a "Winter Storm Watch" instead of a "Blizzard Watch."

And my point is that there will be no shortage of the word "Blizzard" if the potential exists. The trend is to over-reach on a storms impact, not under-reach.

#10
BobInJersey

  • Members
  • 345 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keyport, NJ

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 01 October 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Finally, a brother in arms who observes the same thing! I made my comment on blizzard warnings before reading the string, but you are spot on. I just roll my eyes anymore when I hear people say things like "I heard on the news we are expecting a winter storm" when the prediction was for 1-3" of snow. Its mindboggling how little people actually listen anymore. I guess its the world of snap judgments based on soundbites. And lets be honest, it helps news ratings and fits right in with the news model to make controversy out of anything.

:thumbsup:
Keyport, NJ

#11
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 02 October 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

And my point is that there will be no shortage of the word "Blizzard" if the potential exists. The trend is to over-reach on a storms impact, not under-reach.

To an extent, I agree that there's overreaching. But does that mean that we should not reach at all, and try to somehow convey the potential for a blizzard with a Blizzard Watch?
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#12
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY
Wasn't this how it use to be before the early 2000's?? if I recall, Blizzard Watches started to be issued for first time with the early 2000's??

#13
Baciball

  • Members
  • 162 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:brooklyn
Funny thing is, with the influx of so many more drivers in NYC proper, a 1-3 inch snowfall can affect commutes dramatically. So while I sit in my office in my little community in Brooklyn watching the 1-3 inch snowfall with no worries, what happens on the Belt Parkway, BQE, Van Wyck, LIE, Bridges and other main thoroughfares, becomes a nightmare. So the warnings of winter storm with 1-3 inches prepares people for what will be horrific travel. 1-3 inches in Albany New York is flurries compared to NYC.

#14
rgwp96

  • Moderators
  • 8,041 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:butler NJ
Blizzards suck anyway . I donít want wind when it snows
Butler, New Jersey





Visit My weatherstation

snowfall
16-17= 38.3
15-16= 31
14-15=54
13-14 = 63.1
12-13 =46.2
11-12 =19, 10-11= 66
9-10=65 , 8-9 = 40
7-8=32

#15
ericjcrash

  • Members
  • 3,253 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glendale/Maspeth, NY

View Postrgwp96, on 31 October 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Blizzards suck anyway . I donít want wind when it snows
Yes and no. Wet snow give me wind and powder keep it calm.

#16
ericjcrash

  • Members
  • 3,253 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glendale/Maspeth, NY
Well so much for that lol. http://forecast.weat...wa=bgm&wwa=lake effect snow warning





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users