Jump to content

Ophelia, 75mph winds to batter ireland


14 replies to this topic

#1
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY
https://www.google.c...d-36219992.html

#2
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY
Posted Image

#3
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY
One thing I'm wondering is whether Hurricane Watches and Warnings will actually be issued. One thing about the National Hurricane Center, post-Sandy, is that they are now willing to issue Tropical Storm or Hurricane Watches and Warnings for former tropical systems even if they have lost tropical characteristics.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#4
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY
I don't think the NHC has control of issuing warnings for Ireland

#5
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY
National Weather Warnings



STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork and Kerry


Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday bringing severe winds and stormy conditions . Mean wind speeds in excess of 80 km/h and gusts in excess of 130km/h are expected, potentially causing structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.
Issued:
Saturday 14 October 2017 13:18

Valid:
Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00




STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for The rest of the country


Hurricane Ophelia is expected to transition to a post tropical storm as it approaches our shores on Monday. Mean wind speeds between 65 and 80 km/h with gusts between 110 and 130km/h are expected, however some inland areas may not be quite as severe. The winds have potential to cause structural damage and disruption, with dangerous marine conditions due to high seas and potential flooding.
Issued:
Saturday 14 October 2017 13:21

Valid:
Monday 16 October 2017 09:00 to Tuesday 17 October 2017 03:00


#6
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View PostBlizzard78, on 13 October 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

I don't think the NHC has control of issuing warnings for Ireland

Yeah, I wasn't sure.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#7
gpsnavigator

  • Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morris County, NJ
There's never been a hurricane this far east in the Atlantic, according to TWC. Any chances this would still retain hurricane status upon reaching Ireland?
Which is the next question - what exactly determines post-tropical status? On the surface, it would seem to me that if Ireland gets battered with this thing, yeah, they got hit with a hurricane or strong tropical storm. Since it formed in the tropics and reached all the way to their shores.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

#8
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY

View Postgpsnavigator, on 14 October 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

There's never been a hurricane this far east in the Atlantic, according to TWC. Any chances this would still retain hurricane status upon reaching Ireland?
Which is the next question - what exactly determines post-tropical status? On the surface, it would seem to me that if Ireland gets battered with this thing, yeah, they got hit with a hurricane or strong tropical storm. Since it formed in the tropics and reached all the way to their shores.

Weather channel is wrong, Hurricane Debbie in 1961 hit Ireland as a category 1 hurricane. And Faith in 1966 was a hurricane until it reach longitude -3.0

#9
gpsnavigator

  • Members
  • 1,415 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Morris County, NJ

View PostBlizzard78, on 14 October 2017 - 09:27 PM, said:

Weather channel is wrong, Hurricane Debbie in 1961 hit Ireland as a category 1 hurricane. And Faith in 1966 was a hurricane until it reach longitude -3.0
There's some debate about Debbie in 1961. Faith appears to have been an impressive storm.
Which was the question earlier, about tropical vs. post tropical. And if definitions of such have changed over the years and generations.
It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to rename the same storm, especially since the damage potential remains the same or worse.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

#10
thundersleet

  • Members
  • 7,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Queens, NY

View Postgpsnavigator, on 14 October 2017 - 09:41 PM, said:

There's some debate about Debbie in 1961. Faith appears to have been an impressive storm.
Which was the question earlier, about tropical vs. post tropical. And if definitions of such have changed over the years and generations.
It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to rename the same storm, especially since the damage potential remains the same or worse.

Yeah, I really don't know.

Faith was an impressive storm. It retained its identity until getting a few hundred miles away from the North Pole!
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

#11
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 3,359 posts
  • Gender:Male

View Postthundersleet, on 13 October 2017 - 09:21 AM, said:

One thing I'm wondering is whether Hurricane Watches and Warnings will actually be issued. One thing about the National Hurricane Center, post-Sandy, is that they are now willing to issue Tropical Storm or Hurricane Watches and Warnings for former tropical systems even if they have lost tropical characteristics.

The Ireland Gov't issued a Red Warning or something like that for the entire country. My company has a facility today that is closed and it sounds as if most businesess are closed as well. The intercompany note called the Red Warning an "unprecedented" step

#12
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY
120,000 without power.

Calling it worse storm in 50 years

https://www.google.c...7434%3Fmode=amp

#13
Blizzard78

  • Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • NY

View PostBlizzard78, on 16 October 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

120,000 without power.

Calling it worse storm in 50 years

https://www.google.c...7434%3Fmode=amp

360,000 now without power.

https://www.cnbc.com...ts-ireland.html

#14
Mike_The_Golfer

  • Members
  • 2,551 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ozone Park, NY
I heard they may get hit again by a couple of non-tropical systems that are almost as strong this weekend.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

#15
satellite_eyes

  • Moderators
  • 7,461 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Mill, SC (Home) & Charlotte, NC (Work)
i do see 2 more storms coming through on the GFS. Noreaster type storms.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users