Shadowing Effect during snowstorms

3 replies to this topic

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,980 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ
Wondering if there is any info out there on shadowing effect that terrain has on certain towns. Take away the effect snow banding has on snow totals, does anyone think that a coastal storm may put out less snow over areas such as Port Jervis, NY or Milford, PA due to the effect of the Kittatinny Range? Or maybe Harriman NY due to the Ramapos? I know that Littleton NH gets shadowed quite substantially due to Mt. Washington. Interesting topic.
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

nyrangers1022

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
I always noticed Harriman which is about 7 or so miles from my town usually always has more snow. Many storms they will get 4-6+ more then me

robbbs

• Administrator
  • 16,459 posts

View Postweathergeek87, on 25 July 2018 - 07:47 AM, said:

Wondering if there is any info out there on shadowing effect that terrain has on certain towns. Take away the effect snow banding has on snow totals, does anyone think that a coastal storm may put out less snow over areas such as Port Jervis, NY or Milford, PA due to the effect of the Kittatinny Range? Or maybe Harriman NY due to the Ramapos? I know that Littleton NH gets shadowed quite substantially due to Mt. Washington. Interesting topic.

I've seen average annual snowfall maps for all of New York State. The shadow effect in the Hudson Valley due to the Catskills and Berkshires on both sides is striking. On a much smaller scale, I have noticed that on my east facing slope in northern NJ I typically receive more precip with easterly winds. I presume there is some shadowing in the lower elevations to my west during these times. Of course, deformation bands and other factors can sometimes obliterate these effects so we're talking long term averages.
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,717 posts
Well any east facing range is always going to get more precipitation from upsloping and the west side will be drier. I guess thatís what you mean by shadow. Also remember there are elevation differences. The HV is much lower etc
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users