On Hurricane Categories...

7 replies to this topic

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,565 posts
  • Queens, NY
With Hurricane Florence, two topics have come up again:
1. The idea of a "Category 6" hurricane
2. The idea that we need to find some way to measure tropical systems other than the wind speed

What are everyone's thoughts on those two ideas?

Personally, I think that the Category 6 idea is not particularly useful, while I think we do need to find a way to better communicate storm surge and river flooding threats from a tropical system. That being said, I'm interested to hear others' takes.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

wishcast_hater

No Curvature

• Members
  • 1,051 posts
  • Lagrangeville
  • NY
There is no need for a category 6 as this only plays into the hands of Al Gore and his followers. There is ZERO evidence to correlate climate change with hurricanes, thunderstorms, winter storms etc. Extreme weather is ALWAYS happening around the world somewhere, the internet and media make it seem more so. Population increase lead to higher property damage and death tolls as well, its not that the storms are stronger, there is just more people affected. Its not a hard concept to understand.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,227 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
I think they communicate perfectly
all depends on if people will listen and get out.
I think Florence was an example. they were saying the flooding would be the biggest problem
cat 6 would add nothing
they need to nail down a better 3-6 day forecast first

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,863 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ
Agreed. Maybe on another planet you can have a 6 but no need to change it as it plays into the hands of the global warming alarmists.
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,227 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
whats gonna withstand winds of >157 mph compared to 174mph???
nada

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,565 posts
  • Queens, NY
I am in pretty good agreement with the board consensus on the idea of a "Category 6." For me it doesn't have to do so much with climate change issues; instead it has to do with the comment above mine from Dave. (I mean...when things won't withstand 160 mph winds...why differentiate that from 180 mph winds?).

Still, it's a topic that sometimes gets discussed, and it came up again with Florence.

Also, what about other ways of measuring hurricanes? I feel that wind speed doesn't always measure accurately the damage a hurricane might do.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,194 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
Hurricane Florence was well advertised. The amount of rain and flooding was predicted, that is about all you can do.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,565 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postweatherbowl, on 08 October 2018 - 09:20 AM, said:

Hurricane Florence was well advertised. The amount of rain and flooding was predicted, that is about all you can do.

I totally agree.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users