Midterm Predictions

8 replies to this topic

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,920 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ
Wondering what everyone thinks? In the era of Trump, even the talking heads are hesitant about giving predictions since they were all so wrong about 2016. This week will be telling with where Trump goes to campaign.
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,700 posts
Just like in 2016, Republicans will probably do better than the polling suggests. Regardless, I'll be very happy to be rid of all the political ads.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,795 posts
Both Democrats and Republicans are claiming victory, which is not surprising. HOR going Dem was not a surprise and the Senate staying Republican was not either. I was surprised they picked up as many seats as they did. Now the hard work starts for both parties.....Can they actually work together and get something done. It feels like more gridlock than ever (if that's possible) is ready to happen.

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,700 posts

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 07 November 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

Both Democrats and Republicans are claiming victory, which is not surprising. HOR going Dem was not a surprise and the Senate staying Republican was not either. I was surprised they picked up as many seats as they did. Now the hard work starts for both parties.....Can they actually work together and get something done. It feels like more gridlock than ever (if that's possible) is ready to happen.

Certainly nothing you can call a "Blue wave", unless of course, you are watching CNN. Given that the party of in control of the WH typically loses an average of around 40 seats in the House (Obama lost over 60 his first midterm) and 5 in the Senate, it's tough to see how Dems can really be celebrating.

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,700 posts
One thing to take away from last night, for 2020 Republicans need to figure out how to reclaim the suburbs. I think they were really hurt in those districts, almost certainly because of the cap on the deductions for state/local taxes.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,920 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ

Mike_The_Golfer, on 07 November 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

Certainly nothing you can call a "Blue wave", unless of course, you are watching CNN. Given that the party of in control of the WH typically loses an average of around 40 seats in the House (Obama lost over 60 his first midterm) and 5 in the Senate, it's tough to see how Dems can really be celebrating.

There was no blue wave.
They picked up enough to gain majority but Republicans gained in the Senate. So overall I would say both did okay.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,920 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ

Mike_The_Golfer, on 07 November 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

One thing to take away from last night, for 2020 Republicans need to figure out how to reclaim the suburbs. I think they were really hurt in those districts, almost certainly because of the cap on the deductions for state/local taxes.

Yes big time. That cap is killer for folks who own big house and big property in high taxed states

nyrangers1022

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

weathergeek87, on 07 November 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

Yes big time. That cap is killer for folks who own big house and big property in high taxed states

New York and California are hit hard by that. You can't blame the president or federal government for that tho. That's a state by state issue

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,575 posts
  • Queens, NY
Both parties can claim victory, but the reality is nuanced. Republicans won Senate seats, Dems won in all other areas.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users