Tires

25 replies to this topic

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA
Looking to put new tires on my wife's Dodge Durango, The tire size is 265/50R20 which can be very expensive.

I am looking at a set of Mastercraft courser MSR (snows)or Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 all terrains
Snow's would be ideal but unsure of what the winter weather will be don't want to put them on if it's going to be warmer than normal, some input on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jim

Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA
I've been on this board since the beginning and usually when a member ask a question or for a opinion on something a lot of the members would respond but now, nothing!! what's going on?
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,290 posts

View Postjimjesswill3, on 03 November 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

I've been on this board since the beginning and usually when a member ask a question or for a opinion on something a lot of the members would respond but now, nothing!! what's going on?

People work or have left this forum
Anthony

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA

View Postmetfan4life, on 03 November 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

People work or have left this forum

Saturday's used to be a very busy day for this form must be a lot of people are gone. What a shame this board used to be really good.
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,290 posts

View Postjimjesswill3, on 03 November 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

Saturday's used to be a very busy day for this form must be a lot of people are gone. What a shame this board used to be really good.

It's still good but quieter than other boards.
Anthony

robbbs

• Administrator
  • 16,431 posts

jimjesswill3, on 03 November 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

I think you'll find all weather boards are quiet right now. It's a transitionary period -- not thunderstorm season, not hurricane season, and prior to winter snow. Not much, weather-wise, to discuss. Watch the Euro or GFS show a snow event a week out and see the board light up.
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,290 posts

robbbs, on 03 November 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

I think you'll find all weather boards are quiet right now. It's a transitionary period -- not thunderstorm season, not hurricane season, and prior to winter snow. Not much, weather-wise, to discuss. Watch the Euro or GFS show a snow event a week out and see the board light up.

Bingo
Anthony

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA
Still waiting for an opinion on my question about the tires... I guess no one wants to help out a brother from another mother
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,920 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ

jimjesswill3, on 03 November 2018 - 05:57 PM, said:

What does that mean? What is exciting in early November? It's a boring time. Too early for snow. Just because nobody responded in 1 day doesn't mean the world is ending.
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 9,920 posts
  • Hamburg, NJ
  • NJ

Yes! Didn't even see your post. Agreed
Hamburg, NJ (Sussex County)

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,290 posts

jimjesswill3, on 03 November 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

Looking to put new tires on my wife's Dodge Durango, The tire size is 265/50R20 which can be very expensive.

I am looking at a set of Mastercraft courser MSR (snows)or Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 all terrains
Snow's would be ideal but unsure of what the winter weather will be don't want to put them on if it's going to be warmer than normal, some input on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jim

Colder than normal and snowier
Anthony

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA

weathergeek87, on 04 November 2018 - 12:47 AM, said:

What does that mean? What is exciting in early November? It's a boring time. Too early for snow. Just because nobody responded in 1 day doesn't mean the world is ending.

It means this board has dropped like a rock in the ocean!!! Years ago when the board was started the chatter in early November was quite extensive.. The Long range forecasts and the speculation of things to come has disappeared.. Some of the members of this forum used to write up in length their thoughts about the upcoming winter, The conversation that followed was priceless. Wheather you agreed with it or not, this board was always hopping!! Not anymore.

Just my opinion, but I have seen a major drop off with the participation on this particular forum..
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

canisteerrd

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Cliffwood Lake, Vernon
  • NJ
On my 4wd pickup, I just run good all terrain tires.
On my passenger cars that are not AWD I put snows on in the winter right before I hear the first real snow will fall. Snow tires are much softer rubber, and wear out from heat quickly on dry roads. For my two sets of snows I have them mounted on separate steel wheels. This makes it much easier rather than going to a tire place every fall and spring to have your tires swapped and mounted and balanced again. You just slap the snow tires on yourself. Over the life of your snow tires, probably 4 or 5 years, it's cheaper to just buy cheap steel wheels rather than keep paying for mounting and balancing twice a year.
Elev: 1217'

2012-2013 total snow: 67.0"
2013- 2014 total snow: 67.0"
2014-2015 total snow: 71.1"
2015-2016 total snow: 31"
2016-2017 total snow 61"
2017-2018 snow to date: 84"
2018-2019 snow to date: Trace
Lowest temp this season: 25° 11/12/18

NYCSNOWMAN

• Members
  • 2,089 posts

agree
Rob
God Bless America
"WATING FOR WINTERS FURY"
Fleetwood, NY

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,290 posts

jimjesswill3, on 04 November 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

It means this board has dropped like a rock in the ocean!!! Years ago when the board was started the chatter in early November was quite extensive.. The Long range forecasts and the speculation of things to come has disappeared.. Some of the members of this forum used to write up in length their thoughts about the upcoming winter, The conversation that followed was priceless. Wheather you agreed with it or not, this board was always hopping!! Not anymore.

Just my opinion, but I have seen a major drop off with the participation on this particular forum..

It's been like this for a while.

This forum picks up when a storm is coming.

Icehater was a big part of this forum ( RIP)
Anthony

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,209 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
I use the same tires all year long. No hills where I live on Long Island. When I lived in Connecticut it was so different. Plenty of hills and some very steep. When it snowed you thought twice about going out, especially considering someone could get stuck going up one of those hills and that would get everyone behind them in trouble. Where I am now, I clear the snow from the driveway and off I go.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,795 posts

jimjesswill3, on 03 November 2018 - 11:04 PM, said:

Still waiting for an opinion on my question about the tires... I guess no one wants to help out a brother from another mother

Don’t know anyone who uses snow tires. Just good all season tires have worked for me. Roads are clear within 24 HRs of snow, so never saw the need.

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA

carribeanpirate, on 04 November 2018 - 02:56 PM, said:

Don’t know anyone who uses snow tires. Just good all season tires have worked for me. Roads are clear within 24 HRs of snow, so never saw the need.

Since I drive 200 miles a day snow tires are essential for my commute snow tires are much safer than all season tires all-season tires are made of harder rubber which do not do well in cold snowy weather. It is a proven fact that snow tires outperform all season tires. Stopping, accelerating, and just all-around handling, snow tires can't be beat especially where I live
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

canisteerrd

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  • Cliffwood Lake, Vernon
  • NJ

jimjesswill3, on 04 November 2018 - 05:26 PM, said:

Since I drive 200 miles a day snow tires are essential for my commute snow tires are much safer than all season tires all-season tires are made of harder rubber which do not do well in cold snowy weather. It is a proven fact that snow tires outperform all season tires. Stopping, accelerating, and just all-around handling, snow tires can't be beat especially where I live
If you live "out our way" and you don't have 4wd or Awd, snow tires make a HUGE difference.
Elev: 1217'

2012-2013 total snow: 67.0"
2013- 2014 total snow: 67.0"
2014-2015 total snow: 71.1"
2015-2016 total snow: 31"
2016-2017 total snow 61"
2017-2018 snow to date: 84"
2018-2019 snow to date: Trace
Lowest temp this season: 25° 11/12/18

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA
I'm driving back and forth in a 2016 Honda Civic which is front-wheel-drive I purchased the vehicle because of the great gas mileage it gets
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users