Voting System Integrity

16 replies to this topic

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
In addition to everything else going on, what is now needed is a pragmatic solution to fix our messy voting system. What's reported here is absolutely unacceptable, and makes both sides understandably question election results in close races:

https://www.foxnews....ves-edge-to-dem

And I doubt that south Florida is the only area with this problem, but receives the attention given the tight races and history of Florida elections.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
this is crazy.
in this age of technology we can have this problem is unacceptable.

personally I don't like the mail in ballots and I do like the need to show ID.
I don't see why its racist or suppresses the vote. ID would legitimize the voting process.
to say people cant obtain it is not a reason imo. just another ploy do allow an illegal process to happen.
someone can say otherwise ill listen

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,753 posts
Anyone who is against a national voter id system simply wants to propagate fraud. There is no other reason to be against it.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,998 posts

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 09 November 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

Anyone who is against a national voter id system simply wants to propagate fraud. There is no other reason to be against it.

Just had this conversation with a friend. With all the things you need an ID for, why not one to vote. The only reason for not wanting it is that one wants there to be doubt....either outright fraud, the perception of fraud or something similar. All other reasons are excuses or noise.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 09 November 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 09 November 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

Just had this conversation with a friend. With all the things you need an ID for, why not one to vote. The only reason for not wanting it is that one wants there to be doubt....either outright fraud, the perception of fraud or something similar. All other reasons are excuses or noise.
need id for everything. im sure most pushing fo no id for voting are same pushing for driver id.

evrytime I hear complaints I still don't get the idea its racist

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,740 posts
I'll admit I have some sympathy for those pushing back against ID requirements, because some US citizens, for one reason or another, may not readily possess the necessary information. For example. my grandmother didn't have a driver's license for the last 25 years of her life. So any ID requirement has to be easily obtainable, and free of charge, and also something a family member could obtain on their behalf if necessary.

I like the idea of a national voter registration database. Individuals would need to re-register each time they move to a new address, and must, of course, be legal US residents. The nuances of how exactly this looks, as well as ensuring any ID or registration requirements are not overly burdensome would be open for debate.

Regarding mail ins, I'm OK with that. It's good for college kids who are away at school, service members, people vacationing, or anyone who is disabled or ill. However, ballots received must be somehow verified to be legit, legible, and postmarked by election day. Any not meeting all of these requirements should not count.
-GPSNav
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,998 posts

View Postgpsnavigator, on 09 November 2018 - 03:55 PM, said:

I'll admit I have some sympathy for those pushing back against ID requirements, because some US citizens, for one reason or another, may not readily possess the necessary information. For example. my grandmother didn't have a driver's license for the last 25 years of her life. So any ID requirement has to be easily obtainable, and free of charge, and also something a family member could obtain on their behalf if necessary.

I like the idea of a national voter registration database. Individuals would need to re-register each time they move to a new address, and must, of course, be legal US residents. The nuances of how exactly this looks, as well as ensuring any ID or registration requirements are not overly burdensome would be open for debate.

Regarding mail ins, I'm OK with that. It's good for college kids who are away at school, service members, people vacationing, or anyone who is disabled or ill. However, ballots received must be somehow verified to be legit, legible, and postmarked by election day. Any not meeting all of these requirements should not count.

Quick thought on your comments....in your examples how would anyone go to a drug store and purchase over the counter cold medicine? They couldnít, because they donít have ID, yet they are allowed to vote. Think about that.

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 10 November 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

Quick thought on your comments....in your examples how would anyone go to a drug store and purchase over the counter cold medicine? They couldn't, because they don't have ID, yet they are allowed to vote. Think about that.
I'm not necessarily opposed to a voter ID system. I just think it needs to be simple and transparent. And it also needs to be accomidating to people who may not possess the typical forms of ID through no fault of their own. And I also think there needs to be a sure way to validate that each and every vote is coming from a legal citizen, as I believe the current narrative on voting creates the temptation of fraud, and I also think there are progressives, who, if they could get away with non-citizen votes, would.

Which creates another question. In states where non-citizens can apply for drivers licenses (NY and NJ might be next) - will those licenses look different from typical licenses? Will poll workers be trained to see those differences? What about places that allow people to register to vote through the DMV? The potential for more of a mess that these scenarios create I think justifies our concerns.
-GPSNav

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postgpsnavigator, on 13 November 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to a voter ID system. I just think it needs to be simple and transparent. And it also needs to be accomidating to people who may not possess the typical forms of ID through no fault of their own. And I also think there needs to be a sure way to validate that each and every vote is coming from a legal citizen, as I believe the current narrative on voting creates the temptation of fraud, and I also think there are progressives, who, if they could get away with non-citizen votes, would.

Which creates another question. In states where non-citizens can apply for drivers licenses (NY and NJ might be next) - will those licenses look different from typical licenses? Will poll workers be trained to see those differences? What about places that allow people to register to vote through the DMV? The potential for more of a mess that these scenarios create I think justifies our concerns.
the poll workers don't look at DL's when voting do they? or are you asking a what if scenario?

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,807 posts
In SC they always ask me for my DL. Not sure if it's actually required.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
Kinda funny the states that require zero id
http://www.ncsl.org/...ter-id.aspx#Two

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

View Postvascudave, on 14 November 2018 - 07:26 AM, said:

the poll workers don't look at DL's when voting do they? or are you asking a what if scenario?

Where i voted in my neighborhood in Queens, they didn't ask anyone for a DL or any other kind of ID. I'm sure there was rampant fraud taking place.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
I bought cold medicine over the weekend.....had to show my ID. I voted on Tuesday, was asked my name, told them, validated by looking me up in the register and then was handed a ballot. No ID.

Tell me again why Democrats do not want voter ID's.....its pretty obvious, isnt it?

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 14 November 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

I bought cold medicine over the weekend.....had to show my ID. I voted on Tuesday, was asked my name, told them, validated by looking me up in the register and then was handed a ballot. No ID.

Tell me again why Democrats do not want voter ID's.....its pretty obvious, isnt it?
CAUSE you're gonna make meth with it

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 3,998 posts

View Postvascudave, on 15 November 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

CAUSE you're gonna make meth with it

Right, then I am going to vote......Meth first, vote second.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
hahaha

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,407 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
saw a guy (CLEARLY middle aged) get ID'd for cigarettes this morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users