Jump to content

JANUARY WEATHER


847 replies to this topic

#61
FreezingDrizzle

  • Members
  • 9,002 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:200 yds. from Raritan Bay, elevation 37' --
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ

View Postjetfan58, on 01 January 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

April 1982 blizzard

Good guess, but that one measured 9.6 inches.
February 1983 was the big one, and the only HECS in that era. FD

#62
FreezingDrizzle

  • Members
  • 9,002 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:200 yds. from Raritan Bay, elevation 37' --
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
ps - February 11-12, 1983 measured in at 17.6 inches at CPK. It ranks #13 since records have been kept, there.

#63
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 4,078 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orlando, FL

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 01 January 2019 - 11:28 AM, said:

Thatís why I stay away from all those other boards. People care too much and take the weather personally. People on the coast are definitely spoiled. For inland people snowfall has generally been closer to normal I feel like overall.

That description fits many on this board as well.

#64
satellite_eyes

  • Moderators
  • 7,826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Mill, SC (Home) & Charlotte, NC (Work)

View PostTatamyPA, on 01 January 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:


I was down in Greenville SC over the weekend visiting family and you have described the weather there exactly. Saturday was fairly nice with temperatures in the 60ís. We were in Asheville on Friday where they had historic flooding. Many roads under water.
Asheville is great. They had just under 80Ē of rain in 2018 which is insane. The section near the biltmore tends to flood. Greenville SC is a nice downtown also.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

#65
satellite_eyes

  • Moderators
  • 7,826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Mill, SC (Home) & Charlotte, NC (Work)

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 01 January 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:



That description fits many on this board as well.
haha it is more civil though. This is a frustrating hobby.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

#66
moleson

  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • Location:Kinnelon, NJ

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 01 January 2019 - 08:53 PM, said:

haha it is more civil though. This is a frustrating hobby.

It is much more civil and good natured on this board. Lots of snow lovers here (I am NOT one of them) but nobody here pontificates or acts condescending, like on most of the other boards. I am glad Tatamy is back as his inputs were missed.
Anthony M.

#67
weathergeek87

  • Moderators
  • 10,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamburg, NJ
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 01 January 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:



That description fits many on this board as well.

Do you even read any other boards? Or some of these ridiculous Facebook weather group pages? Trust me it is very tame and civil here compared to other places on the Internet.
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

#68
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,986 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY
Upton for later on tonight

"As a result expect a period of light rain/snow to develop in NYC where temps will be more likely to be above freezing, and light snow elsewhere that may transition to freezing rain toward morning as temps aloft warm more quickly than at the surface. Snowfall of about an inch is possible across a good deal of Long Island and southern CT. Areas that could see a light glaze of freezing rain during the transition include most of Long Island and NE NJ mainly west of the GSP."



Could catch folk off guard if it happens
Anthony

#69
jimjesswill3

  • Members
  • 904 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Jim----Marshalls Creek PA(E. Stroudsburg)
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA
Looks like we're still on track for just before mid month for pattern flip let's see what happens
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

#70
NYCSNOWMAN

  • Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fleetwood, NY

View Postjimjesswill3, on 02 January 2019 - 04:41 AM, said:

Looks like we're still on track for just before mid month for pattern flip let's see what happens
fingers crossed. I think we flip too ...
Rob
God Bless America
"WATING FOR WINTERS FURY"
Fleetwood, NY

#71
TatamyPA

  • Members
  • 6,388 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bethlehem, PA - elevation - 400'
  • Bethlehem
  • PA

View Postmetfan4life, on 02 January 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

Upton for later on tonight

"As a result expect a period of light rain/snow to develop in NYC where temps will be more likely to be above freezing, and light snow elsewhere that may transition to freezing rain toward morning as temps aloft warm more quickly than at the surface. Snowfall of about an inch is possible across a good deal of Long Island and southern CT. Areas that could see a light glaze of freezing rain during the transition include most of Long Island and NE NJ mainly west of the GSP."



Could catch folk off guard if it happens
This is going to be another one of these events with very marginal boundary layer temps and light precip amounts. Most areas that see snow along the coast will see either a mix or white rain. If there are any accumulations on LI the areas that would see that would be central and eastern Suffolk Cty. FWIW no model support for any accumulations on LI or in NYC. I believe inland areas to the north and west could potentially see a coating to perhaps up to an inch with this. On the plus side it will happen at night however as always rates will be key.
Bethlehem, PA is 80 miles west of NYC
Skywarn Spotter - Mt. Holly

#72
TatamyPA

  • Members
  • 6,388 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bethlehem, PA - elevation - 400'
  • Bethlehem
  • PA

View Postmoleson, on 01 January 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:



It is much more civil and good natured on this board. Lots of snow lovers here (I am NOT one of them) but nobody here pontificates or acts condescending, like on most of the other boards. I am glad Tatamy is back as his inputs were missed.
Thank you for the kind words Moleson. Regarding the other boards the level of craziness that can pervade them never ceases to amaze. Wishcasting and posts by people who have no understanding of basic tenets of meteorology are not uncommon.
Bethlehem, PA is 80 miles west of NYC
Skywarn Spotter - Mt. Holly

#73
vascudave

  • Members
  • 7,467 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Raritan
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View PostPADreams, on 31 December 2018 - 10:22 AM, said:

I don't normally post here, but have been reading this forum for a good many years and have come to respect and appreciate the knowledge that so many of you have. However, Don Draper, I honestly find your obsession with Amy Freeze to be creepy and your comments vulgar and unnecessary. Can we just stick to discussing the weather? I know I can just scroll by your comments, but this is a weather forum, not a locker room.

View Postmoleson, on 31 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

I disagree 1000%. Don Draper is an asset to this board. Scroll past if you don't like. And if you find what he says offensive and not tongue in cheek then...SMH...

View Postdondraper, on 31 December 2018 - 01:51 PM, said:

Look, meteorology is a tough racket. And the worlds a gloomier place if we can't shake off the clouds of despair and have a laugh once in a while. And if folks like Amy Freeze and the great Joe Bastardi can help dislodge us from our barometric complacency and inspire us with their scintillating beauty or indelible wit and intelligence than as a society we are all better served.

#METOO people
just sayin
what was funny years ago is no longer

heres to mid month change

#74
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,986 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY

View PostTatamyPA, on 02 January 2019 - 05:34 AM, said:


This is going to be another one of these events with very marginal boundary layer temps and light precip amounts. Most areas that see snow along the coast will see either a mix or white rain. If there are any accumulations on LI the areas that would see that would be central and eastern Suffolk Cty. FWIW no model support for any accumulations on LI or in NYC. I believe inland areas to the north and west could potentially see a coating to perhaps up to an inch with this. On the plus side it will happen at night however as always rates will be key.

Spot on
Anthony

#75
BobInJersey

  • Members
  • 419 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Keyport, NJ

View Postmoleson, on 01 January 2019 - 09:04 PM, said:

It is much more civil and good natured on this board. Lots of snow lovers here (I am NOT one of them) but nobody here pontificates or acts condescending, like on most of the other boards. I am glad Tatamy is back as his inputs were missed.

DITTO!!!! Very glad...like the sane, logical,non-wishcasting posts!
Keyport, NJ

#76
snowprincess0204

  • Members
  • 278 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Union Nj

View PostFreezingDrizzle, on 01 January 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Exactly. There was only one storm over 10" at CPK from 1979/80 to 1992/93.
Trivia question: When was that one storm? It was a big one.
I remember many a snowless winter!! Once I started working, '87, things picked up. I do remember COLD winters though, when we were able to skate on the river!

#77
weathergeek87

  • Moderators
  • 10,284 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Hamburg, NJ
  • Hamburg
  • NJ
Not looking good. Pac Jet dominating and no signs of it breaking down, regardless of what weenies say. January may be lost.
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

#78
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,986 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY

View Postweathergeek87, on 03 January 2019 - 03:54 PM, said:

Not looking good. Pac Jet dominating and no signs of it breaking down, regardless of what weenies say. January may be lost.

Maybe but it's still very early

Remember Jan 2016?
Anthony

#79
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,986 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY
Polar Vortex is about to split into 3 pieces

https://www.axios.co...9ffbe205b9.html
Anthony

#80
metfan4life

  • Members
  • 28,986 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Brooklyn,NY
We have to all be patient. The change will come.

The mjo has been in the unfavorable phases for cold and snow. That is changing.

The soi is also dropping. It has been positive which promotes ridging in the east.

Another thing is that the vortex has split. Same thing happened in February which lead to a snowy march

Patience is key here. I think the pattern will look alot better by mid to late January.
Anthony





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users