SEPTEMBER WEATHER

92 replies to this topic

NYCSNOWMAN

• Members
  • 2,225 posts
I am hoping , that the humidity finally lowers this month but as always time will tell. The allergies have been awful and I suspect for most of the month they will continue to be bad ..
Rob
God Bless America
"WATING FOR WINTERS FURY"
Fleetwood, NY

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,283 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

NYCSNOWMAN, on 22 August 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

I am hoping , that the humidity finally lowers this month but as always time will tell. The allergies have been awful and I suspect for most of the month they will continue to be bad ..

I have been suffering from allergies most of this month. Never do I recall sneezing like this in August before.
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,818 posts
Down south Aug and Sep are a 2nd allergy season. It's pretty normal. For me i've noticed it at times but not bad luckily.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,467 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
Almost 2 inches of rain here today. In the past hour some loud claps of thunder.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,467 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
Interesting that both the GFS and Euro have hurricane Dorian coming up the East Coast after it hits Florida

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,055 posts
Iím in Florida now and itís full on hype. Schools begin closing tomorrow and are already closed for Tues. Iím leaving tomorrow, but my son is going to Tampa for the weekend with friends as a precaution (he lives on the East coast near Daytona).

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,973 posts

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 29 August 2019 - 03:41 PM, said:

Iím in Florida now and itís full on hype. Schools begin closing tomorrow and are already closed for Tues. Iím leaving tomorrow, but my son is going to Tampa for the weekend with friends as a precaution (he lives on the East coast near Daytona).

The models still dont know where the storm will head. Alot of things to still iron out.

The speed of the storm is key. The slower it is the more north turn there will be due to the ridge overhead breaking down.
Anthony

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,055 posts

View Postmetfan4life, on 29 August 2019 - 04:21 PM, said:

The models still dont know where the storm will head. Alot of things to still iron out.

The speed of the storm is key. The slower it is the more north turn there will be due to the ridge overhead breaking down.

Believe me, there are plenty of people rolling their eyes over the hype. Most are waiting until tomorrow Or sat to make a decision.

TatamyPA

• Members
  • 6,388 posts
  • Bethlehem
  • PA
Consensus of the models (most of them anyways) would indicate that there is a greater likelihood of a south Florida landfall vs further north. As of now I would focus on the West Palm Beach area as being at the highest risk of a direct hit. I would expect landfall to take place with the storm tracking on a NW heading. Actual intensity will be dependent on eyeball replacement cycles.
Bethlehem, PA is 80 miles west of NYC
Skywarn Spotter - Mt. Holly

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,818 posts
I don't really see that as hype (considering a potential cat 4). But of course only a small area would experience that level anyway and the rest of the state will just say it was overhyped. Not to mention we're talking about a huge state.

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,973 posts
It is better to be prepared than not to be. This storm will be either grazing the east coast of Florida or making landfall in south Florida before turning north.
Anthony

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,055 posts

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 30 August 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

I don't really see that as hype (considering a potential cat 4). But of course only a small area would experience that level anyway and the rest of the state will just say it was overhyped. Not to mention we're talking about a huge state.

Back in NJ for now, but my reference to hype was before it was projected at Cat 4 strength. Its amazing how early people start talking about it and preparing. be good to hear from Robbbs as this may be the first storm he has prepared for.

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,973 posts
Models are shifting east. Hopefully they still trend east.
Anthony

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,602 posts
  • Queens, NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 30 August 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

Though the hype is often misplaced. The focus is on winds, but water kills most people in these storms. No doubt, those near the eye would experience massive winds, but to be honest I would be much more concerned about the slowdown in forward speed and resulting onslaught of torrential rains.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,467 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
Both the GFS and Euro for several runs now continue to show the storm off our shores in about a week. If the storm continues to slow, it could turn north before hitting Florida. By the way, now a Cat 4.

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,973 posts
Yep this storm looks like a miss. Eps keeps trending east. The ridge breaks down in time.
Anthony

TatamyPA

• Members
  • 6,388 posts
  • Bethlehem
  • PA
The threat to Florida keeps subsiding with each model run. 0z runs are still showing a threat for a hit on the Carolina coast however they are still trending to the north and east with the storm. Looks like High pressure out over the Atlantic will weaken soon enough to let it move well east of Florida.
Bethlehem, PA is 80 miles west of NYC
Skywarn Spotter - Mt. Holly

metfan4life

• Members
  • 28,973 posts
Carolinas are now in play
Anthony

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,818 posts
i would say as of now storm surge main issue for SC (Charleston, etc). But OBX more in play to see some type of hit.

So today we were going to go to Charleston to hit the beach for a day but i cancelled because it is pouring there. Meanwhile here, barely 3 hours away, it is bone dry and sunny. Unusual to see such a drastic difference.

isobar65

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
The Bahamas are looking down the barrel of a gun....very well could be a catastrophic hurricane down there.
White Plains, NY (Westchester County)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users