Mets fire Manager Mickey Callaway

5 replies to this topic

OrangeCountyWeather06

• Members
  • 5,192 posts
  • Cornwall
  • NY
Welp. Unless youíve been under a rock somewhere you have to say we all saw this coming. I mean a 86-76 record isnít bad but after 2 years of having to crawl out of horrid Juneís and questionable manager calls. Iíd have to say it was time for him to go. 2 years is short and I donít believe him to be a bad guy or manager, I just know the GM Brodie never hired him and wanted him gone the second he walked in the door. I wonder if they will move the pitching scout up to manager. Personally, Iíd like to see the Mets go after Joe Maddon. I like his experience and he helped guide a young Rays franchise once to the WS.
Cornwall NY

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,620 posts
  • Queens, NY
IMHO, unless the Mets are certain that they can land Maddon or Clint Hurdle, this is a mistake. I get the criticism over questionable calls, but the team really turned things around this summer. Why break something that seemed to be getting fixed?

Obviously, if they feel confident that they can get Maddon or Hurdle, it's an understandable move. Maddon took a young Rays team to a World Series, and with the Cubs he literally broke a curse...enough said. Hurdle has taken a team to a World Series and helped turn around a different franchise (the Pirates). These two have proven themselves capable of helping to turn around downtrodden franchises. But if we can't get one of those two, I think firing Callaway is a bad move.
Carlisle, PA is about 20 miles west-southwest of Harrisburg

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
I believe Maddon is incredibly overrated. I would love Girardi, But I'm sure he's probably going to replace Maddon with the Cubs. We know for sure the Wilpons won't win a bidding war with Chicago to get him. Hurdle is a good manager, and being a former Met player is always a plus. Bottom line, however, is across MLB managers are now expected to be a puppet of the front office and has to do whatever the analytics say they should do, So I don't know if the manager carries the importance it once did. A manager is not allowed to use his gut and say, leave a reliever in when he appears to simply be "on" that game. If the analytics say you go to a different reliever for the next hitter, you have to do it or face the wrath of the GM and his assistants in charge of filling those binders with all the numbers.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,620 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 03 October 2019 - 03:40 PM, said:

I believe Maddon is incredibly overrated. I would love Girardi, But I'm sure he's probably going to replace Maddon with the Cubs. We know for sure the Wilpons won't win a bidding war with Chicago to get him. Hurdle is a good manager, and being a former Met player is always a plus. Bottom line, however, is across MLB managers are now expected to be a puppet of the front office and has to do whatever the analytics say they should do, So I don't know if the manager carries the importance it once did. A manager is not allowed to use his gut and say, leave a reliever in when he appears to simply be "on" that game. If the analytics say you go to a different reliever for the next hitter, you have to do it or face the wrath of the GM and his assistants in charge of filling those binders with all the numbers.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you about Maddon and the role of managers.

Maddon has helped turn around two different franchises. The Devil Rays were nothing pre-Maddon, and the Rays have been nothing post-Maddon until this year, when they're in the playoffs. The Cubs went from losing 89 games to winning 97 in just one season...and one of the changes was...Joe Maddon. He also often gets the most out of his talent--Carlos Pena (?) was the star player on the Rays team that went to the World Series (a roster I look at and ask myself how they made it that far), and Carl Edwards, Jr. (??) got the save for the Cubs that won the World Series. I say often because they have disappointed last year and this year, which is odd to me because usually his teams overachieve.

As for the role of managers, yes there's analytics, but having analytics and actually using them in practice are two different things. You also need to have a good read on your players and your opinions from moment to moment--things analytics by themselves can't do.

I forgot about Girardi! But yes, he'd be great. I could see him going to the Cubs or Padres. The Padres have a lot of young talent in their farm system, so if he's interested in a rebuild, San Diego may be the place to go.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

Mike_The_Golfer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
double-whammy for the Mets as they lose out on Girardi - to the Phiilies.
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

thundersleet

• Members
  • 7,620 posts
  • Queens, NY

View PostMike_The_Golfer, on 24 October 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

double-whammy for the Mets as they lose out on Girardi - to the Phiilies.

I just found out. It's a real bummer, to be honest. I don't care what people say about his personality--that guy can flat-out manage and get the most out of his teams. He's a former World Series champion, a guy who chronically overachieves with his teams (think his season with the Marlins, how the Yanks never got below .500 even though they were very much in rebuild mode, and how they were so close to the World Series in 2017 even though the consensus heading into that season was that the team was a year away from that), and someone who from all I can tell has been able to have the respect of his players in whatever clubhouse he's in. This is not a good start to the Mets offeason--we are in a division with a team that looks destined to be like the 90s Braves (the 2020s Braves), the team that's two wins away from a championship (the Nats), and a team with a lot of talented pieces and a talented manager (Girardi). At least the Marlins still stink?

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!
Let's go Mets!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users