Florida living compared to New York?

17 replies to this topic

OrangeCountyWeather06

• Members
  • 5,192 posts
  • Cornwall
  • NY
Hey guys just need some opinions on something that crossed my mind. Iím 26 years old and currently reside in Orange County NY with my father whom is 61 years old and retired. Long story short weíve had some relatives that moved down to West Palm area in FL and visited recently and loved it. My Dad wants to stay in NY but is not completely for or against the FL idea. So it is a consideration. I know a few members on here moved from the Tri-State area on south. Could you guys in your own experience tell me how much different it is and which is better?
Cornwall NY

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,523 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
I lived in Florida for the better part of 2 years. I first went down to visit and could not wait to get back. I was in my 20s at the time. After a few years there, I wanted to move back up north. I bring this up because, I believe you really should live in a place for about a year to see if you really like it. Another words visiting some place is far different than living there. Of course if you visit often and for fairly long periods like snowbirds from up north, this should also give you a pretty good perspective.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

nyrangers1022

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
My father lives in Florida most of year, and summer, and holidays here. I go down there alot. Love the area. 10 minutes from beaches. Could have bought a condo for cheap, but decided against it. Big difference is my job. I'm already vested in NYS retirement. Down in Florida, a municipal worker does not make much, and no union. Also I don't think a good retirement. On top of that, you need to have a Class A license, for almost half the pay I have now with a Class B.

Cost of living is cheaper (groceries are a little pricey though). Electric is cheap as well. But pay can be a little low, depending on career

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,333 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postnyrangers1022, on 26 November 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

My father lives in Florida most of year, and summer, and holidays here. I go down there alot. Love the area. 10 minutes from beaches. Could have bought a condo for cheap, but decided against it. Big difference is my job. I'm already vested in NYS retirement. Down in Florida, a municipal worker does not make much, and no union. Also I don't think a good retirement. On top of that, you need to have a Class A license, for almost half the pay I have now with a Class B.

Cost of living is cheaper (groceries are a little pricey though). Electric is cheap as well. But pay can be a little low, depending on career

True. But you also do not pay any state income taxes in FL so depending on the job and rate of pay, it may work out to be pretty close.
I have a friend in healthcare, her and her husband moved to Venice and she told me even with her hourly rate cut down, she still brought home more $ in the end than she did living in Queens (where she was paying not only state but city tax).
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,116 posts
We moved here 2 months ago and could not be happier with the choice. We are in Central Florida, between Orlando and New Smyrna Beach. Cost of living is completely different, from utility cost to gasoline to groceries to housing. And for the better. Total cost of living is much cheaper, we are saving about $1.5k per month vs living in NJ. West Palm area is going to be a bit more expensive to live than where I am. Most of that area is developed between the ocean and the Everglades, there is not much area and is basically filled. Believe it or not, I am in an area that is considered "underdeveloped". What I have seen in research before coming here and experience since arriving
  • Property Taxes are at least 50% less
  • Gasoline is $.50 less
  • Groceries are the one thing more expensive, about 10-15% higher for total bill
  • We paid about $250/month in electric, here we pay about $100/month
  • No state income tax, saving about 5-7% on annual income
  • Salaries are less, about 10% less than the Northeast
Some things to consider before moving
  • Can you transfer here with your current job? If so and keep your NY level salary, you will live like a king basically giving yourself a 10-15% raise by changing nothing.
  • Florida is a huge state, W. Palm is different from Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, the Panhandle.
  • The gulf coast is cheaper than the east coast.
  • What kind of lifestyle do you want? Beach, nature, theme parks? There is so much to do and you can spend a lot of time outside. outside of work, I've basically lived in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops since we've been here. We go to the beach regularly and are big Disney World people. We have been there 2-3 times already.
  • It's crowded. I work about 60 miles from home and it takes me 90 minutes on average to get home at night. Plan accordingly.
Am I still in the "honeymoon" phase? Maybe. But there is little I don't like so far. The weather is great, that goes without saying. But on the other hand, the lifestyle, the cost and the whole vibe is way better than we imagined.

Good luck!

nyrangers1022

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

carribeanpirate, on 28 November 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

We moved here 2 months ago and could not be happier with the choice. We are in Central Florida, between Orlando and New Smyrna Beach. Cost of living is completely different, from utility cost to gasoline to groceries to housing. And for the better. Total cost of living is much cheaper, we are saving about $1.5k per month vs living in NJ. West Palm area is going to be a bit more expensive to live than where I am. Most of that area is developed between the ocean and the Everglades, there is not much area and is basically filled. Believe it or not, I am in an area that is considered "underdeveloped". What I have seen in research before coming here and experience since arriving
  • Property Taxes are at least 50% less
  • Gasoline is $.50 less
  • Groceries are the one thing more expensive, about 10-15% higher for total bill
  • We paid about $250/month in electric, here we pay about $100/month
  • No state income tax, saving about 5-7% on annual income
  • Salaries are less, about 10% less than the Northeast
Some things to consider before moving
  • Can you transfer here with your current job? If so and keep your NY level salary, you will live like a king basically giving yourself a 10-15% raise by changing nothing.
  • Florida is a huge state, W. Palm is different from Orlando, Tampa, Jacksonville, the Panhandle.
  • The gulf coast is cheaper than the east coast.
  • What kind of lifestyle do you want? Beach, nature, theme parks? There is so much to do and you can spend a lot of time outside. outside of work, I've basically lived in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops since we've been here. We go to the beach regularly and are big Disney World people. We have been there 2-3 times already.
  • It's crowded. I work about 60 miles from home and it takes me 90 minutes on average to get home at night. Plan accordingly.
Am I still in the "honeymoon" phase? Maybe. But there is little I don't like so far. The weather is great, that goes without saying. But on the other hand, the lifestyle, the cost and the whole vibe is way better than we imagined.

Good luck!

My wife 3 years ago had a job offer in the Orlando commons as a manager in one of those stores. We definitely would have been living large, but that move would have been a big decision, and we didn't have much time to think about it. She would of been set, but I would have gone in blind in looking for a new job. Might have been for the better tho, because unfortunately that company let her go here in Woodbury commons. I don't know if it would have been same result down in Florida tho. Didn't hurt though, she found a new store as assistant manager, less responsibility and more pay.

I've applied to municipalities, park rangers, Florida light and power. No emails or phone calls back. Would be hard to get an interview tho if they see I live in NY

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,523 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
This is a weather site so I will look at Florida from that perspective. This does not include the panhandle or Keys. I think Florida is a good state if you are a weather fanatic. If part of that weather interest is snow and the four seasons, well you will miss out. However, the summers are interesting with thunderstorms at least a good three or four times a week. It is almost like clock work. Early morning is sunny and hot, then the clouds build and by early afternoon you hear thunder. Of course you have hurricanes, interesting to track but can also be devastating. Winter can be dry but occasional cold fronts move through and can actually spawn tornadoes or heavy rain and storms. Winter temps are pleasant. Florida can also have wild fires as there is a dry season from winter into spring. I can think of a lot worse places to live as far as the weather goes. I am older now so I would not miss the cold and snow like I once did. However, it is good to have a pool as the summers can get very long, even for Florida folks that have lived there a long time.

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,116 posts

nyrangers1022, on 28 November 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

My wife 3 years ago had a job offer in the Orlando commons as a manager in one of those stores. We definitely would have been living large, but that move would have been a big decision, and we didn't have much time to think about it. She would of been set, but I would have gone in blind in looking for a new job. Might have been for the better tho, because unfortunately that company let her go here in Woodbury commons. I don't know if it would have been same result down in Florida tho. Didn't hurt though, she found a new store as assistant manager, less responsibility and more pay.

I've applied to municipalities, park rangers, Florida light and power. No emails or phone calls back. Would be hard to get an interview tho if they see I live in NY

I had trouble finding a job because I was an NJ resident. Switched my resume and used my sons FL address and things picked up. Plenty of jobs here.

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,851 posts
Well for SC (basically i'm considered the Charlotte metro area) my RE taxes are 8k a year less than NJ. Gas is also about .50 cheaper and my electric seems to ave about half the price as up north. Also my commute is 10 miles one way. For those that commute downtown it's about 15 miles but it does take about 45 mins during rush hour. I like FL but prefer to live somewhere with 4 seasons and mountains barely an hour away. And i've been here for 5 years so well past the honeymoon phase.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,523 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 29 November 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

Well for SC (basically i'm considered the Charlotte metro area) my RE taxes are 8k a year less than NJ. Gas is also about .50 cheaper and my electric seems to ave about half the price as up north. Also my commute is 10 miles one way. For those that commute downtown it's about 15 miles but it does take about 45 mins during rush hour. I like FL but prefer to live somewhere with 4 seasons and mountains barely an hour away. And i've been here for 5 years so well past the honeymoon phase.

Can't believe you have been there over 5 years already.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,333 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

weatherbowl, on 29 November 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

Can't believe you have been there over 5 years already.

Was just about to say the same thing. Canít believe time has gone that quickly. Do you miss the big snowstorms?

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,116 posts

satellite_eyes, on 29 November 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

I should have been more clear on the commute. I did not have a job when we moved here, I took a package from my role in NJ and we moved while I was looking. We chose Orlando area to be centrally located therefore the long commute. We are building a home and my commute will be 20-30 min. Itís like living in any metro area....roads are crowded and cannot handle the traffic.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,333 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

satellite_eyes, on 29 November 2019 - 12:42 PM, said:

How is your state income tax compared to NJ?
Also do you have to pay both states (Nc and Sc) or is it similar to NY/NJ where you just pay one

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,851 posts
I file both but SC credits what i pay for NC. So what i pay for SC is almost nothing. SC is a bit high at 7% but NC is like 5.5. Sales taxes are a bit high because you pay some local sales taxes for roads etc. I do miss that first snow but i don't miss winter up there at all.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,333 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

satellite_eyes, on 01 December 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

I file both but SC credits what i pay for NC. So what i pay for SC is almost nothing. SC is a bit high at 7% but NC is like 5.5. Sales taxes are a bit high because you pay some local sales taxes for roads etc. I do miss that first snow but i don't miss winter up there at all.

I file both also bc I live in NJ but all income earned in NY.

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,116 posts
And to point out the obvious, itís not snowing here. In fact it was 85 today, we were at the beach....

snowshoe

• Members
  • 3,913 posts
  • Wantage
  • NJ
Ugh I could never live in FL or anywhere down south. I need the 4 full seasons. Not sure south really has a winter. I would miss the winter sports.
Total snow for 2019-2020 season 10 inches
Total snow for 2018-2019 season 36.7 inches
Total snow for 2017-2018 season 64.2 inches
Total snow for 2016-2017 season 62.1 inches
Total snow for 2015-2016 season 12 inches (Least amount ever recorded for my area)
Total snow for 2014-2015 season: 56.3 inches
Total snow for 2013-2014 season: 60.1 inches
Total snow for 2012-2013 season: 50.6 inches
Total snow for 2011-2012 season: 24 inches
Total snow for 2010-2011 season: 50.8 inches
Total snow for 2009-2010 season: 69.5 inches
Total snow for 2008-2009 season: 42.6 inches
Total snow for 2007-2008 season: 52.3 inches
Average 60 Inches

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,116 posts

snowshoe, on 02 December 2019 - 05:55 PM, said:

Ugh I could never live in FL or anywhere down south. I need the 4 full seasons. Not sure south really has a winter. I would miss the winter sports.

Been here 2 months and honestly havenít missed it. Itís Fall here now, lows in the 50s, highs in the 70s. The 80s over the weekend were an anamoly. I can live with 3 seasons. I certainly donít kiss your weather if the last 2 days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users