weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,556 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
January 1, 2020 at 11:05 pm
Filed Under:Local TV, New York

Posted Image

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – As the old song goes, “if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.”
Unfortunately for New York, more people are choosing to leave the Big Apple and go “anywhere” but here.
According to U.S. Census data released Monday, people are leaving New York at a faster rate than nearly any other state in the nation.
For the fourth straight year, the state’s population decreased as the number of residents choosing to go elsewhere outpaced the number of births, new residents moving in, and people immigrating to the Empire State.
New York is one of only 10 states to see their population go down between 2018 and 2019, according to a study by the Empire Center for Public Policy.
“New York has lost nearly 1.4 million residents to the rest of the country since 2010 – and largely as a result of this outflow, the Empire State’s total population barely budged during the decade,” a Dec. 30 Empire Center release said.
“The cost of living in New York — the high taxes, regulations and housing costs — are making it untenable to live the American dream here,” Staten Island Councilman Joe Borelli told the New York Post.
The report did not make an assumption on why so many people are choosing to leave New York State.
In 2019 the state saw its population drop by 76,000 people — about 0.4 percent overall — the largest decline of any state in the U.S. last year.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

nyrangers1022

• Members
  • 1,796 posts
The new bail abolishing law is a new joke in New York. Also now law enforcement fear that community policing will go down. People will be afraid to report crimes, because if they do, the defendant has the rights to their information

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,878 posts
I think about half of my development down here is from NY. Mostly NY state and some from LI.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,148 posts
In my community, Iíve met many people from NYC or NJ. My next door neighbors moved from NJ 2 months before we did. At times I feel like I never left.

wishcast_hater

No Curvature

• Members
  • 1,285 posts
  • Lagrangeville
  • NY
Don't worry Cuomo has everything under control. He is modeling NY after California. Can't wait for human feces and needles to litter every street corner and then our liberal utopia will be complete.
Earth is not a spinning ball
Flat Earth Infrared Camera - Hundred of miles with no curve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5RJhRNWCMo&t=608s
2nd Law of Thermodynamics: Can't have + Pressure against a vaccuum: https://www.youtube....suvdGYCY&t=500s
Astronauts on wires / Chromakey Technology: https://www.youtube....h?v=x6XeELc3QH8
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLltxIX4B8_URNUzDE2sXctnUAEXgEDDGn
http://www.atlantean...nning-ball.html
https://flatearthsci...t-earth-proofs/

carribeanpirate

• Members
  • 4,148 posts
NJ and NY have been catering more and more to illegal immigrants rather than citizens of their states/country. Drivers licenses, healthcare, etc are all offered. Where is the help for homeless in NYC...Newark...Camden? Panhandling has taken over NYC streets and subway again, all at a time of high employment rates for everyone. Why doesn't the dishonest media take liberal legislators to task for that? People being left behind are not being left behind because of corporations, but by the Democratic Party who only wants to court the illegal vote. You can bet illegals will be voting the in next election now that they have drivers licenses. Remember, everyone is automatically registered to vote in NJ and you have to choose to opt out, this includes illegals. Illegals have to be honest and opt out of voter registration....I am sure these upstanding citizens will do that.

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,538 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ
cant wait to leave the tri state

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,809 posts
Four great visuals for this area:

1) The twenty year old dude sitting in the mall at 2:00 in the afternoon in sweat pants and a hoodie with the hood up when it's 75 degrees, watching videos on his phone.
2) The thirty year old woman who you hold the door for, then blows right past you, never uttering a hello or thank you, and never looking up from her phone.
3) The whatchamacallit with pink hair, 17 piercings, 16 tattoos, 15 genders, fishnet stockings, who stares blankly back and forth from their phone to people walking by.
4) The beefed up middle aged tool in the Land Rover weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating at 85 mph, yacking away on his phone.

I've seen all 4 in the past month. OK, the 15 genders thing may be an exaggeration (or is it?). But seriously, this place is becoming a zombie apocalypse freak show. I'm glad I don't have to grow up here. Is it better elsewhere??
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

vascudave

• Members
  • 7,538 posts
  • Bridgewater
  • NJ

View Postgpsnavigator, on 07 January 2020 - 08:49 PM, said:

1) The twenty year old dude sitting in the mall at 2:00 in the afternoon in sweat pants and a hoodie with the hood up when it's 75 degrees, watching videos on his phone.
2) The thirty year old woman who you hold the door for, then blows right past you, never uttering a hello or thank you, and never looking up from her phone.
3) The whatchamacallit with pink hair, 17 piercings, 16 tattoos, 15 genders, fishnet stockings, who stares blankly back and forth from their phone to people walking by.
4) The beefed up middle aged tool in the Land Rover weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating at 85 mph, yacking away on his phone.

I've seen all 4 in the past month. OK, the 15 genders thing may be an exaggeration (or is it?). But seriously, this place is becoming a zombie apocalypse freak show. I'm glad I don't have to grow up here. Is it better elsewhere??
Probably all hate trump too.

so that is the question..... is it better elsewhere??

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,878 posts
Well I will say females down here do actually smile or say hi even when they don't know you. And kids are out and about in my neighborhood riding bikes all around. People are definitely obsessed with the gym down here however you don't get the meatheads like you do up north. Sounds better to me
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

snowshoe

• Members
  • 3,928 posts
  • Wantage
  • NJ

View Postgpsnavigator, on 07 January 2020 - 08:49 PM, said:

Ooo

Is it? Crime is worst in the south. Try being a teacher or law enforcement down south where pay is poor and no unions. People might be nicer down south but remember it's northern people moving south at a high rate. Give it time and those areas will change. Ask the locals that live in the south they will tell you it's not the same. A lot has to do with who you ask. Ask a local they will tell you different then the newcomer.
Total snow for 2019-2020 season 16.6 inches
Total snow for 2018-2019 season 36.7 inches
Total snow for 2017-2018 season 64.2 inches
Total snow for 2016-2017 season 62.1 inches
Total snow for 2015-2016 season 12 inches (Least amount ever recorded for my area)
Total snow for 2014-2015 season: 56.3 inches
Total snow for 2013-2014 season: 60.1 inches
Total snow for 2012-2013 season: 50.6 inches
Total snow for 2011-2012 season: 24 inches
Total snow for 2010-2011 season: 50.8 inches
Total snow for 2009-2010 season: 69.5 inches
Total snow for 2008-2009 season: 42.6 inches
Total snow for 2007-2008 season: 52.3 inches
Average 60 Inches

jimjesswill3

• Members
  • 916 posts
  • Marshalls_Creek
  • PA
I am a New Yorker who moved to Pennsylvania 19 years ago and we did so because housing was cheaper and the taxes where low. now taxes have risen considerably and it’s like living in New York again. the cost of living is almost the same and you have to go back to New York to work so you can pay your bills .Crime has gone up, the gangs live in gated communities. ask a local and they’ll tell you the New Yorkers have ruined the state and would prefer them to leave.
Jim-Marshalls Creek PA
41.0976 N 75.1217 W
Elevation 1099.1 feet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users