PWS

7 replies to this topic

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,423 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ
Can anyone recommend a personal weather station? Havenít had one in many years and want to finally get one.
I remember years ago I had a Davis Vantage Pro but that was 10-15 years ago so Iím out of the loop on what is current. Would prefer something wireless.
Home: Hamburg, NJ (Hardyston Township, Sussex County) Elevation 700'
Work: Middletown, NY

weatherbowl

• Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Levittown
  • NY
For the money I still think Davis is the best. The vantage Pro wireless is the top of the line but for less money the Vantage Vue is great. The only thing with the Vantage Vue is it is one unit so the temperature will be where the anemometer is located. To most not a big deal. If you buy it don't buy it from Davis, there are independent sellers that have it for a cheaper price.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,993 posts
I joined the cocorahs network. i got the rain gauge that everyone uses, took the training and submit every day. As far as temp, i still use 2 separate accu-rite digital displays.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

gpsnavigator

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
I've been thinking about one for our new townhouse because there will be a good space to mount it on the deck (although maybe not so good for tracking the wind). I had a Davis years ago and it was a trooper. Still have it, but a lightening hit did in the sensors and I don't think they make those sensors anymore. I'm thinking of the Vantage Vue I believe is the model. There are others. I bought an Accurite for my parents a few years ago, but it was shot within 2 years. It's still there, but now is pretty much just for entertainment as it gives wildly inaccurate readings.
-GPSNav
Home: Rockaway, NJ - Morris County -- Elevation 745 feet
Work: Newton, NJ - Sussex County -- Elevation 570 feet
Interests: weather, hiking, kayaking, math, science, current events, classic cars, and craft beer

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,423 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ
Another question;
Someone in my development has a PWS which uploads to weather underground.
According to the map, this station is across the street from me and behind the building (is it on someoneís back porch, or on the actual field before the golf course...)

I am curious as to what type of station this is, how far it is from the building, etc.

I posted a comment on their PWS page, but I am wondering, for those of you who are familiar with wunderground (weatherbowl, satellite), is there any way I can send a direct message to the owner of this station (itís KNJRUDEV4) or do I have to hope this person just reads my comment? Please advise.

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,993 posts
good question. i would think you'd had to play around on the site to see if the person has contact info. Or go to cocorahs and maybe the person also reports on there if you see a station in the same place on the map. That could be another way to contact them.

weathergeek87

• Moderators
  • 10,423 posts
  • Hamburg
  • NJ

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 01 August 2020 - 12:27 PM, said:

good question. i would think you'd had to play around on the site to see if the person has contact info. Or go to cocorahs and maybe the person also reports on there if you see a station in the same place on the map. That could be another way to contact them.

Thanks
I want to buy a station but knowing Nick Stefano fairly well heís told me multiple times that my readings would be inaccurate (temp, precipitation, wind, etc.) being that the only place I can put the station would be on the deck which is too close to the house. My readings would be off, and heís probably right. Oh the issues with owning a condo as opposed to a single family home. This is why I am curious as to where this station is located as it is definitely in a condo section.

satellite_eyes

• Moderators
  • 7,993 posts
Agree yeh your readings would likely be off in a condo.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users