Jump to content

Heat wave


8 replies to this topic

#1
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY
High of 94 degrees today, west wind took the place of the sea breeze. West wind is long Islands warmest wind in the summer.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

#2
satellite_eyes

  • Moderators
  • 7,993 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Mill, SC (Home) & Charlotte, NC (Work)
Down here the heat index needs to be at least 105 for a heat advisory. We are under a heat advisory but so far the index is around 100.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

#3
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY
I actually went higher after reporting the 94 degrees, my high was 96. No sea breeze to be found.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

#4
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 20 July 2020 - 02:39 PM, said:

Down here the heat index needs to be at least 105 for a heat advisory. We are under a heat advisory but so far the index is around 100.

It's funny how northerners will chuckle when places like Florida think it a big deal when winter temperatures go to the 20s. At the same time we make a big deal out of 3 or 4 days in a row above 90. Meanwhile places such as Florida have temperatures above 90 close to 3 months in a row.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

#5
satellite_eyes

  • Moderators
  • 7,993 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Mill, SC (Home) & Charlotte, NC (Work)

View Postweatherbowl, on 20 July 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

It's funny how northerners will chuckle when places like Florida think it a big deal when winter temperatures go to the 20s. At the same time we make a big deal out of 3 or 4 days in a row above 90. Meanwhile places such as Florida have temperatures above 90 close to 3 months in a row.
yeh even here 90s are normal from mid June right into September. Low 90s is fine after that it can get rough. Had a huge storm here a few hours ago with FL like thunder.
Lake Hopatcong, NJ (NW Morris County)
Elevation 1150' - Average Snow: 50"

Snow Stats (as of 3/31/15)
2014-2015 Winter - 67.0" Min Temp -6
2013-2014 Winter - 66.1" Min Temp -5
2012-2013 Winter - 53.4" Min Temp +1
2011-2012 Winter - 26.9" Min Temp +5
2010-2011 Winter - 62.3" Min Temp -6

#6
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postsatellite_eyes, on 20 July 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

yeh even here 90s are normal from mid June right into September. Low 90s is fine after that it can get rough. Had a huge storm here a few hours ago with FL like thunder.

We could use a storm here, way to dry.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

#7
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY
93 here today
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island

#8
carribeanpirate

  • Members
  • 4,729 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Orlando, FL
my wife and I were talking over the weekend that a FL summer day is better than a July heatwave day in NJ. The humidity is not nearly as stifling as it is in NJ and it feels more tolerable. We sat outside for lunch on Sunday and it was comfortable, even though the heat index was high 90s.

And for the "wait until you live in FL through the summer" crowd, its really not terrible, unless you are working outside. Most people stay indoors or are around a body of water to stay cool.

#9
weatherbowl

  • Members
  • 10,812 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eastern Nassau County
  • Levittown
  • NY

View Postcarribeanpirate, on 28 July 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

my wife and I were talking over the weekend that a FL summer day is better than a July heatwave day in NJ. The humidity is not nearly as stifling as it is in NJ and it feels more tolerable. We sat outside for lunch on Sunday and it was comfortable, even though the heat index was high 90s.

And for the "wait until you live in FL through the summer" crowd, its really not terrible, unless you are working outside. Most people stay indoors or are around a body of water to stay cool.

I'm glad you are enjoying it, I always liked Florida. However, I am one of those "wait until you live through a summer" person. I am not saying it is unbearable, it is like our winter, it's bearable but it is always nice to see spring.

One thing about our current heat wave up here that reminds me of Florida, the warm night temperatures. I always liked going in the pool at night when I lived in Florida and not be cold. That happens up here, but only during a heat wave like this, which does not happen that often.
Eastern Nassau County, Long Island





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users