The APRIL 6 1982 Blizzard.A True STORM OF THE CENTURY

7 replies to this topic

DBZ80

• Members
  • 242 posts
Heavy Rain and Evening Thunderstorms on April 3rd were harbinger of things to come.Snow flurries and temps in the 30son the 4th was a shock to many who expected winter to be over.
The forecasts o the 5th were calling for2 inhes of Wet snow on the 6th..this forecast stayed that way even at 11PM.

I awoke at 4AM on the 6th.it was raining steadily with temps in 40-42 range.I turn the radio on..and to my Shock.I hear the words Blizzard Warning.The rain quickly changes to snow before 5AM.and begins to stick.it becomes heavier and heavier when around 8AM....Lightning and Thunder are now a part of the storm.(this would continue until 330PM)

The temps dropped into the low 20s during the middle of the day..the snow remained dry........I was amazed.To see powdery snow at 1PM on April 6th was amazing.
I picked up about a foot where I was..the temp dropped to almost 20.
Truly a Historical Storm......one that we will probably never seee again in our lives.
"A Liberals Ideology is the Epotime of Hypocrisy"
"True Peace can only be achieved through Prodigous Force"
"It is better to be truly Miserable than to be falsely Happy"
"Steve Jobs made life easier for billions of people"
Whoever reads this go and hug everyone in your family and tell them "I LOVE YOU

jjvesnow

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
Until 04/10/08.... :thumbsup:

hens13

• Members
  • 1,698 posts
  • Scarsdale
  • NY
My uncle got married on that day. He always tells me that story of all the snow he got on LI. That must have been some storm. http://www.northshor...om/19820406.asp
Go Yankees, Jets, and NY Rangers!
SOUTHERN WESTCHESTER, NORTHERN NYC METRO

winterscool

• Members
  • 64 posts
You recalled that storm perfectly from my memory banks. Friday the 2nd was sunny and around the low 70's for high's. I remember getting that first real sunburn of the season that day. The day after that storm, the temps remained only in the low 30's despite full sun and the snow was blowing around as if it was January. Before the snow turned into the powdery form on that Tuesday, iI;ll never forget how strang the landscaped looked with the wet snow sticking in the trees that were already blooming with dark green grass under all the trees.

FreezingDrizzle

• Members
  • 6,624 posts
  • Location:Perth Amboy, NJ ----(200 yds. from Raritan Bay, elevation 60')
  • Perth_Amboy
  • NJ
I recall waking up that morning and hearing weatherman Bob Harris (the guy that faked that he was a Ph.D. and got caught) talking about a snowstorm. Half-asleep, I thought it was an April Fool's prank.

I worked in Iselin (Woodbridge) NJ then, we didn't get the foot that some did. I do remember it plastering the sides of cars in the parking lot and sticking on those vertical surfaces.

I agree that it was a very rare event.

Depths from the "NJ Weather Book" by Ludlum:
Lakehurst - 2
High Point - 14
Lodi - 12
Newark AP - 11
CPK - 10
Parsippany, North Caldwell, Verona, Elmwood Park - 13
2013-2014 Accumulating Snow and Ice
November 23: trace of snow (squall)
November 26: trace of sleet
December 8: 1.0 inches
December 10: 2.5 inches
December 14: 3.1 inches
December 17: 1.3 inches
December 24: 0.3 inches
January 2-3: 6.6 inches
January 5: 0.2 inches ice
January 21: 8.2 inches
January 25: 1.3 inches
January 26: trace of snow
January 29: 0.6 inches
February 3: 8.8 inches
February 5: 2.0 inches, 0.2 inches ice, then rain
February 9: 1.6 inches
February 13: 7.8 inches, then zr and light rain (Part I)
February 14: 3.6 inches (Part II)
February 15: 4.6 inches
February 18: 1.6 inches
February 26: 1.6 inches
March 3: 0.4 inches
March 25: 0.3 inches (strongest storm of the season, well off the coast)
March 31: trace (end of heavy rainstorm)
April 14-15: 0.7 inches matted snow and sleet
Total to-date: 59.1 inches

Lowest temperatures: January 4, 4 F -- January 6, 6 F -- January 7, 5 F -- January 22, 3 F -- January 23, 3 F -- February 12, 10 F -- February 28, 8 F -- March 4, 12 F
Highest winter temperature:

icehater

• Members
  • 20,635 posts
Generally a 9-15" storm in our area. My memory is rain changed to heavy snow around 7am and the snow started accumulating around 8AM. Temp was 34 at daybreak, 32 at 8am, 22 around noon and 21 late in the day and thru the night. 35-45mph sustained winds with gusts to 60mph brought windchills well below zero all day. Whiteout conditions often that day and there was also loud thunder on a few occasions. The following day we had a high in the upper 30's and the blazing sun really took a toll on north side of the streets. I remember coming home that next day and south sides of the streets which missed the afternoon sun looked like January while northern sides saw all the snow except where it was piled disappear despite temps only in the upper 30's. Temps went back to the mid 20's in NYC that night and dropped to near 10 in rad cool areas and then we went to 50 and the warm-up started right after that. Had it been a January storm, we'd have gotten 20" or more.

Funniest part of that blizzard was Steinbrenner refusing to call off the Yankee opener until noon and seeing video on the news of snow drifts up to the numbers that measured distance from home plate in center, left and right field at Yankee stadium.

Some links:

http://www.northshor...om/19820406.asp

The above one shows the power of the storm.

http://wintercenter..../photo1982.html

http://www.worldship.../blizzferry.htm

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.htm...DAD0894DA484D81
Monmouth county NJ

robbbs

• Members
  • 13,628 posts

View PostDBZ80, on Mar 27 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

Heavy Rain and Evening Thunderstorms on April 3rd were harbinger of things to come.Snow flurries and temps in the 30son the 4th was a shock to many who expected winter to be over.
The forecasts o the 5th were calling for2 inhes of Wet snow on the 6th..this forecast stayed that way even at 11PM.

DBZ80 -- I disagree. I recall that the NWS had heavy snow warnings issued for NYC on 4/5, well in advance of the storm. I also recall a graphic on The Weather Channel the evening before the storm that had our whole area in the heavy snow zone with the words "travel near impossible" added in. By sometime overnight, the NWS upgraded the heavy snow warning to a blizzard warning. This was a snowstorm event that was forecasted well in advance.
rockburnweather.com
West Milford NJ

icehater

• Members
  • 20,635 posts

View Postrobbbs, on Mar 28 2008, 05:09 PM, said:

DBZ80 -- I disagree. I recall that the NWS had heavy snow warnings issued for NYC on 4/5, well in advance of the storm. I also recall a graphic on The Weather Channel the evening before the storm that had our whole area in the heavy snow zone with the words "travel near impossible" added in. By sometime overnight, the NWS upgraded the heavy snow warning to a blizzard warning. This was a snowstorm event that was forecasted well in advance.

Robbs - I completely agree.

The NWS did an awesome job with this storm. They warned of snow potential two days before the storm and told folks some of the coldest April air ever would come into the northeast. Local newspeople were interviewing folks in the street the day before the event, asking them if they really thought we'd get the 3-6" snow then forecasted. It was about 45 sunny degrees when that was happening. Many folks in my office couldn't believe the snow predictions but the NWS held steady to 3-6" well before the storm hit and even warned the yankees about it as it was going to hit on opening day. It was actually accu-weather that was downplaying the storm on 1010 WINS. In those days AW was a very conservative lot and the dead opposite of what you see today! They downplayed every major weather event. Even the blizzard of 78 was portrayed by AW as at least 3" and possibly a foot or more "if everything develops properly". Meanwhile every other NY forecast in that storm was 12-18" at that same time.

In the April 82 blizzard at 6AM just as rain was changing to snow in NYC the NWS put up a blizzard warning for 6-10" of snow and said thunder was possible and forecasted temps to drop to the mid 20's. A few hours later they upped accums to 8-14". People were stunned by the magnitude of storm and the NWS was given a lot of credit for predicting it as they did.

I also can never forget how some of the NWS forecasters were making fun of Steinbrenner early that morning for not taking their advice to call off the game well in advance. One guy chided that it would be dangerous for the hitters as the snow would be so blinding that they'd never be able to see a white ball in a January like white-out. He warned Steinbrenner to increase his liability insurance during some radio time he got.
Monmouth county NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users